Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I add a book on my MacBook Pro to my iPad 3

I have an iPad 3 on iOS 8

I have a MacBook Pro on 10.9.5

I have 4 PDF/Epub/Mobi files on my Mac.

How do I add books to iTunes?

How do I view the books I have in iTunes?

How do I add them to my iPad so they'll be in iBooks?

MacBook Pro with Retina display

Posted on Feb 19, 2015 5:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2015 10:31 PM

On a Mac with Mavericks (or Yosemite) installed on it you don't add them to iTunes, that is only used as a tool for syncing your books to the iBooks app on your iOS devices, iTunes isn't used for managing them.

For the books that are compatible with iBooks (you probably won't be able to copy the Mobi files into it) then you can add them to the iBooks app on your Mac either via the File > Add To Library menu option within the app, or by dragging and dropping them onto it.

If you connect your iPad to your Mac's iTunes they should then show on its Books tab for selecting and syncing to the iBooks app on the iPad

User uploaded file

For the mobi book, you will need an app on your iPad that supports more books e.g. the Kindle app.

For Kindle, and possibly other mobi apps, you can add books to the app by selecting the iPad's Apps tab, scroll down the right-hand side of the screen to the file sharing section, select the app that you want to copy the book to, and add it to the app.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 19, 2015 10:31 PM in response to Just So Pro

On a Mac with Mavericks (or Yosemite) installed on it you don't add them to iTunes, that is only used as a tool for syncing your books to the iBooks app on your iOS devices, iTunes isn't used for managing them.

For the books that are compatible with iBooks (you probably won't be able to copy the Mobi files into it) then you can add them to the iBooks app on your Mac either via the File > Add To Library menu option within the app, or by dragging and dropping them onto it.

If you connect your iPad to your Mac's iTunes they should then show on its Books tab for selecting and syncing to the iBooks app on the iPad

User uploaded file

For the mobi book, you will need an app on your iPad that supports more books e.g. the Kindle app.

For Kindle, and possibly other mobi apps, you can add books to the app by selecting the iPad's Apps tab, scroll down the right-hand side of the screen to the file sharing section, select the app that you want to copy the book to, and add it to the app.

How do I add a book on my MacBook Pro to my iPad 3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.