Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the deal with Garage Band lessons not completing the download. I'm seeing that others are having the same problem. Please Apple, please help us out. for me it started after upgrading to 10.10.2. at the Raleigh Apple store.

Garage Band free guitar lessons will not complete download without explanation. I was under the impression the basic lessons were included with the OS. In this case my troubles started after up grading to Yosemite 10.10.2--at the Raleigh, North Carolina Apple Store. I was told it was band width issue because there were so many people in the store.

This is very frustrating because I can't get anyone from Apple to talk to me.

BTW, the techies at the store left a user called "Apple" on my MacBook and I don't have permissions to turn on FileVault. Have you ever tried to call a specific store?

I see GB for sale for $4.95. Is that it? i already have the software which is kind of useless for me. I'm learning guitar and it used to work.

Help us out Apple. I've seen others are having the same problem.

GarageBand (Mac) '11, OSX 10.10.2

Posted on Feb 19, 2015 4:45 PM

16 replies

Jan 14, 2017 6:18 PM in response to csp256

I was having this same issue, and this is what seemed to fix it for me:

Quit GarageBand and cancel downloads if asked.

Went to the App Store and looked at "Purchased" apps. Noticed that GarageBand was listed with the "Install" option. Clicked install and waited for download to complete.

Re-opened GarageBand, went back to the lesson store to download lessons, and now they all download successfully.

Feb 19, 2015 11:05 PM in response to csp256

I just bought a new macbook less than week ago and one of the biggest reasons I bought it (among many others, of course) was for Garageband! I was really excited to learn piano and guitar and start creating music! It's just very frustrating to finally decide to make the switch from Windows to Mac and and get stuck with such a ridiculous issue.

I spoke with a top level technician tonight at he told me that currently there is no fix for the issue. From some of the posts I've been reading this issue has existed for quite some time now and STILL there's no fix! I paid good money for this piece of hardware and even paid a little money for the upgraded version of Garageband and would expect it to work as advertised.

Anway, hopefully they will release a fix soon. At least now I know it's an issue with the software and not an issue with my Macbook or my internet.

Feb 19, 2015 11:34 PM in response to csp256

csp256 wrote:

Garage Band free guitar lessons will not complete download without explanation. I was under the impression the basic lessons were included with the OS. In this case my troubles started after up grading to Yosemite 10.10.2--at the Raleigh, North Carolina Apple Store. I was told it was band width issue because there were so many people in the store.

Possibly, the bandwidth issue is referring to the global masses trying to download updates and purchases off their servers, and the servers are just too bogged down? In the olden days, huge MBytes of software were distributed on CD's, followed years later with GBytes on DVD's. Now Apple is trying to distribute GBytes to individuals repeatedly, over the internet, and the big multibillion-dollar company is unquestionably stumbling at it, because there are evidently some software glitches in the process.

"This is very frustrating because I can't get anyone from Apple to talk to me."

😟 I hope it gets better.

Have you ever tried to call a specific store?

I've gotten just a recording in the past. Unfortunately, the nearest Apple store is well over a 1.5 drive for me.

My story on an iPhone 4S upgrade to iOS8 is somewhat incredulous; all of a sudden the phone crashes (which it never did before the upgrade). The Apple Tech said their diagnostics indicate the battery needs replaced. 😐 But this is probably off-topic.

Feb 22, 2015 2:06 PM in response to csp256

I have searched for an answer throughout the entire website and nothing. I tried contacting Apple but im out of warranty on my mac so they won't help unless I pay a fee. I just bought myself a piano because I was excited to try the Lessons but I guess I'll give up on GB and try somewhere else. its clear Apple will not help us unless there is some money involved. (disappointed Apple consumer)

Feb 24, 2015 8:38 PM in response to csp256

I have a the 5k iMac and am very disappointed with the download failures I encounter in GarageBand. The progress bar indicates a full download, and then I get the failure message. Every time I open GarageBand, it automatically tries again and fails again.

I had an older version of GarageBand that is still on time machine. I went into an old library folder---Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Learn to Play/Basic Lessons. I restored all the lesson files there to my desktop. Then I moved them to the Basic Lessons folder of my current Library. They show up and work, but the files that previously failed to download still try to download even though I can click on them and use them. So if you can get the files from an older version of GB, you might be able to use them.

I talked with Apple yesterday and they don't have a solution yet. They say watch for an update. I suspect it is a Yosemite issue.

Hope my workaround is of use to some of you.

Feb 25, 2015 8:40 AM in response to shirtless

Used my warranty privilege and spoke to a senior Apple rep today because of this same problem of download failures. Spent over an hour trying to find a solution with no success,trying deleting, re-installing, restarts etc etc. He was very helpful and left it open for me to contact him again when I had more time but I think also that the problem is with Yosemite and it seems that we just have to wait for an update.

Feb 25, 2015 4:27 PM in response to csp256

Ровно все тоже самое о чем уже тут написали. Не загружаются уроки, и вообще честно говоря с магазином уроков происходит какая-то неведомая ерунда. Уроки исчезают, появляются, то грузятся, но потом при полной загрузке выдается сообщение о том что не может установить, и что надо переустановить, а после этого в фоне постоянно висит загрузка этого "никогда не загружаемого" урока, что просто не дает как-либо пользоваться программой.

Разочарование полное, было бы замечательно, если бы данная проблема была устранена и работа с уроками налажена. Спасибо.

Feb 26, 2015 7:52 PM in response to csp256

Yup me too! Waiting for a call from the apple store regarding my lesson purchase today. Seems I may be waiting a long time and if they do call I'll just get the run around. I can not download it directly from My Orders page at the Apple store either. If I can't download the lesson and they don't refund my money I won't pay the charge on my VISA. If they pursue me for it I sure hope someone has started a class action suit. Hah lol.

BTW its more than a Yosemite thing too. I've got Mt. Lion. I've seen posts on this issue going back to 2011. I have no plans to upgrade to Yosemite Sam either. I hear its a POS.

Feb 28, 2015 11:30 AM in response to Stockholm

And Mt. Lion with GB 6.0.5 too. Kicker is I got the basic lessons to download 2 years ago when I first got my macbook. Its not the OS or GB version. Its got to be with the lesson store URL and/or server. Seems like an easy fix. I don't get it either. Got no technical explanation when I talked to Apple phone reps yesterday. I'm sitting here repeatedly trying to download a lesson I paid for hoping it'll get through one time. That's the definition of insanity.

What is the deal with Garage Band lessons not completing the download. I'm seeing that others are having the same problem. Please Apple, please help us out. for me it started after upgrading to 10.10.2. at the Raleigh Apple store.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.