Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder Menu Bar Font Sizing...

I am working with disabled users who cannot speak, and have extremely limited mobility- but are perfectly alert and conscious of everything around them. We are using new 24" Intel iMacs. Computers are the only way they can interact with people the way you and I take for granted. However, due to their inability to make their muscles do just what they want, they struggle to make a mouse move over a button and take several painfully slow tries to do simple things like "double-click". We continue to try new solutions to those problems with programable trackballs and larger keyboards. However there is one detail that would make a huge difference for these users, and for the life of me, I cannot find a method of doing it. It seems so obvious and simple, but as far as I can see it cannot be done. End of story. Tough-luck guys.

Basically- the font in the Finder's main menu bar is too small and hard to read.

Before you answer, (and we REALLY hope you can!) please know:

A) We are very familiar with Universal Access and the tools there such as ZOOM. For these users however, it is inadequate. They cannot press multiple keys simultaneously, and even when we simplify that process, or do it for them, it is far too disorienting and difficult for them to navigate in that mode. These folks need menu stability- they need to see the menus on a stable UI. Nor can they speak, so speakable options are out.

B) Decreasing screen resolution has the very unfortunate effect of making everything bigger. Which, among other things, means application windows take up so much desk space, while simultaneously displaying such little content, that every window must be scrolled- and again that means they have to move the mouse and use the scroll arrows or arrow keys just to read short emails, pictures are always cut off, and web pages are always running off the bottom- when really, the content is finely sized. So this doesn't help. For them, it's better to keep the resolution at a medium setting- not the biggest, but not the smallest.

C) We have gone into every application and have enlarged the fonts in those apps so that they can be read.

D) We have used the "Show View Options" to increase the few system fonts that it controls (and yet- wish we could make it even bigger than the max. 16)

E) We have tried several 3rd party apps like TinkerTool- and despite the claims of many non-users- it absolutely does not change the size of the finder menu bar.

SO that brings me here- the thing we want to do most is increase the size of the Finder menu bar font. That's it. Seems like a reasonable request. At least I thought it was.

Does anyone have an idea how this may be possible?

It would make a big difference to a bunch of folks that have it hard enough already. Thanks in advance for anything!

G5 Dual 2.5Ghz, 2GB RAM Mac OS X (10.4.8)

G5 Dual 2.5Ghz, 2GB RAM Mac OS X (10.3.6)

Posted on Oct 9, 2006 6:53 PM

11 replies

Oct 9, 2006 7:54 PM in response to i Joel

i Joel:

There are several other questions on the same or similar questions in the Forum, and apparently, at the present time Mac OS X does not have the capability to do what you ask. (It will be a happy turn of events if someone proves me wrong).

However, there may be some help from third party software.
(Silk) will change the standard Lucida Grande font (I think it's 13 point) to any other font/font size you want, based on the fonts you have installed on your Macintosh. It's shareware, works well. Also look at Tinkertool, another shareware app, that does some of the same. Together, you can completely change all the fonts on the menubar, windows, dialog boxes, etc.
Quoted from a post by Ishan Bhattacharia in this thread.

Good luck.

cornelius

Message was edited by: cornelius

Oct 10, 2006 2:42 PM in response to cornelius

As I mentioned above- I have used TinkerTool, and it cannot change the finder menu fonts. It changes many other system fonts, but not the menu.

So I tried Silk, and while it does let you change the menu bar font, it DOES NOT let you CHANGE THE SIZE of the menu bar font- which for the visually impared is my only requirement.

I have reviewed the other Discussions on this topic and noticed that they generally peter out after these two options have been suggested. I think it may be misleading and would like it on the record that neither of these actually solves the problem. Although I would love to be proven wrong!

Any other thoughts- Or is it just utterly impossible?

Oct 10, 2006 3:21 PM in response to i Joel

i Joel:

At the present time, to the best of my knowledge, Mac OS X does not offer any options, and your best bet may be in third party offerings. I understand your point about keeping the issue alive, and I agree with you. There is apparently, from a search of other questions, a significant need for this option. Hopefully the folks at Apple will take note. It could not take that much more by way of development.

I will continue to look around for more options.

Good luck.

cornelius

Oct 11, 2006 7:10 PM in response to ali brown

Thanks Ali B and Cornelius,

I hate to seem unreasonable here, but we did try the audio option. It's just so hard to get the mouse where they want that they really need to see where they want to go, and work to get it there. The hunt and peck thing is just not ideal.

I wish this were not only as easy to do as it should be- but that it were simply possible at all. In this day of full-screen content, and big LCDs, the idea that you can't enjoy maximized screen real estate, while simultaneously resizing the main menu font if it's a little small for you, seems onerous. I trust Apple has a good and very complicated technical reason why this is not possible and I hope it has nothing to do with "maintaining aesthetics" as it has been posited on other threads, that would be unacceptable.

But I will offer my feedback to Apple- thanks Ali B.

I keep hoping that navigating computers will become easier than navigating the real-world for people with disabilities, but there's still so much very low-hanging fruit that remains untouched that it's painful to watch and makes people who struggle every day to do the simplest things feel equally unconsidered. You know? Computers are man-made worlds where we have total control and can break the rules to become super human. And yet we haven't managed to give an easy voice to the brilliant minds behind crippled bodies. They're always stuck with ungraceful, kludgy, mis-sized tools that just don't quite fit.

Hey Developers- that's an opportunity!

Anyway- thanks guys.

Oct 12, 2006 5:52 AM in response to i Joel

You're Welcome i Joel!

I'm sorry the suggestions were of no benefit to you.
And I don't think you are being at all unreasonable.

I can understand your frustration, as I was a care-giver for my brother, who became disabled by a stroke.

Although rewarding work, I also know, that your job can sometimes be thankless.

Good Luck and God Bless!

ali b
What are question answers?

Jan 1, 2007 12:14 PM in response to i Joel

Simple answer. Use bootcamp to install Windows. The disability options are much better and you can set the DPI of the screen. I have been having similar problems with my Mac as I am trying to set it up in my living room and it is connected to a hi def TV set. From my armchair, the fonts are way too small. I am getting very close now to just installing Windows as MacOs isn't doing it for me.

Finder Menu Bar Font Sizing...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.