Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

allow user to reset password with apple id missing

I have just received my macbook pro and I got couple of questions. When I go to system preference and click on User & group, under my account which is the one I create the first time, I do not see the option to check "Allow user to reset password using Apple ID". Is this option not available if you do not enter your apple ID during the initial setup? I cannot find any information about this. This is what the screen look like.

User uploaded file

iPad, iOS 6

Posted on Feb 19, 2015 3:31 PM

7 replies

Feb 21, 2015 10:57 AM in response to Glenn Leblanc

When I right click and choose advanced options, where it said "Apple ID" I see a button "Set...". I assume that means that I do not have apple ID associated with the user. There is also big warning on the top saying that changes to any of the field may cause the account to be unusable. That is scary warning.

I check my friend macbook which is still on Maverick, eventhough he does not associate the Apple ID with the user, the option to "Allow user to reset password using Apple ID" is visible but greyed out. Is this new in Yosemite that you have to enter an Apple ID to be shown the option to reset password using Apple ID?

Feb 23, 2015 10:02 AM in response to gibot

I didn't know if that was the reason it didn't show. It was a thought. Since I have Apple IDs associated with my user account, I can't test that out. But since you have not set one, you might try adding one in. I see no reason why it would cause any harm to your user account.

Setting an Apple ID might also be part of a process of signing into iCloud. Seems back when that started, my Apple ID was always associated with my user account automatically. I never had to initially put one in. I have added a few addresses since then. Are signed into iCloud?

Whether or not it has changed with Yosemite, I couldn't tell you. I've had mine set with Mavericks also.

As in any case when making changes, you should have a good backup just in case things do go wrong.

Dec 1, 2015 11:18 PM in response to gibot

I have the exact same problem except that when I go to "Advanced Settings" it clearly shows my Apple ID is associated with my account. I also tried creating other users and in all cases this option is missing. I have an iMac where this is not a problem.

This is really a pain in the butt as I want to be able to access File Shares using the Apple ID, but this is also broken and must be related somehow. *sigh*

allow user to reset password with apple id missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.