Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have purchased an ex-corporate ipad air. it has come locked to the previous users ID. The purchase is from a reputable auctioneer of which receipts can be produced. How can i process the unlocking/deactivation of the previous apple ID.

I have purchased an ex-corporate ipad air. it has come locked to the previous users ID. The purchase is from a reputable auctioneer of which receipts can be produced. How can i process the unlocking/deactivation of the previous apple ID.

Posted on Feb 19, 2015 8:03 PM

16 replies

Feb 19, 2015 8:32 PM in response to rg75

Apple will assist you if you can provide incontrovertible proof (i.e., proof that will hold up in court) that you are the legal owner. If an Apple Store is within reasonable distance, make an appointment with the resident "Genius." If a store is not within reasonable distance, you'll have to ship the unit to Apple. Call to make arrangements - 800-275-2273 in the U.S.A. and I think Canada.

Feb 23, 2015 4:49 AM in response to Philly_Phan

Well picked up the iPad from the auction house and drove straight to the Genius Bar with receipts and entire story. Got sent packing with no further explanation of what I'd could or should do other then try and find the previous owner - which will be difficult given it was an employee of a company that has gone into liquidation!

Feb 23, 2015 5:00 AM in response to Philly_Phan

Unfortunately the situation as we understand it is that Apple will unlock phones locked by the original owner if they themselves provide proof of purchase. They will not unlock it at all for a subsequent owner who has bought it second-hand, however legitimately.

The auction house have sold you an item which is not working as described and your argument is with them. They must take it back and refund your money. If as you imply the previous owner is absolutely not available then this phone is permanently unusable and there is no way whatever round that.

Feb 23, 2015 5:14 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Because of these forum issues, I had a lengthy discussion on this topic the last time that I was at an Apple Store. Apple does not limit its assistance to the original owner. However, the "incontrovertible proof" that I keep stating does go back to the original owner. It's similar to the "chain of command" with regard to maintenance of evidence.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.