Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have DELETED calendars showing in my iTunes Sync Calendars List!?

iMac late 2009

OSx 10.10.2

iPhone 6 Plus

iOS 8.1.3

Completely Up to Date!

I have had a major problem with my Calendar's calendars, which I have completely repaired using Calendar. During that process, I had to rename a number of calendars in order to keep track of what I was doing - an intermediate diagnostic step. Once I'd gotten everything right, exported all the "good" calendars to .ics files, and deleted ALL CALENDARS - both the good ones and the intermediately named ones - then imported the .ics files back into Calendar... leaving me with ONE FULL SET OF CLEAN CALENDAR data. When I open Calendars on my mac, I see 33 calendars listed on the left side of the window.

My problem, now that I'm ready to put my calendars back onto my phone, is that my Calendars Library (library/calendars) still has many of the intermediate calendar files (that have NOT been DELETED) and in iTunes, the list of Calendars includes all these same intermediate calendars, as well as the new calendars that I want to transfer to my phone. I would prefer to "select" "ALL CALENDARS" but I can't do that until I can remove the calendars that were supposed to be deleted/removed in the first place. In other words, I have 33 good, clean Calendars, but there are 71 Calendars in my Calendar Library.

What are the correct steps to remove the Library/Calendars folder so that the iTunes "Sync Calendars" list only shows the 33 good calendars, and not the 38 unwanted (deleted) calendars.

What do I have to do to finish the job?

iMac (21.5-inch Late 2009), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Feb 19, 2015 6:29 PM

19 replies

Mar 10, 2015 5:55 PM in response to KALLT

Kalt,

I was thinking about your situation and there are a couple of things that I can suggest to help you get your phone back into a more normal state.

In iTunes, where the "Sync Calendars" list is, UNcheck "Sync ALL Calendars." This will allow you to select ONLY the calendars that you want on your phone and keep your phone a bit closer to how you really want it. My calendars list has something like 74 calendars in it, but I only want 33.

Let me know if this helps you at all.

Feb 17, 2017 7:38 AM in response to job-seeker

Hey guys, I've had this similar kind of problem as you guys did.

The reason calendars and reminders are interrelated is because they are both stored under ~/Library/Calendars as iCalendar files and probably synced as such. For me, I would see all my deleted reminders lists in Calendar and all my deleted calendars in Reminders as well. So much for making sense out of this...

What worked for me though was deleting a file used that's generated by some sync services from Apple, ~/Library/Application\ Support/SyncServices/Local/TFSM/com.apple.Calendars/data.syncdb (possibly used by iTunes).

I've also deleted all files under ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.CalendarAgent/Data/Library/Calendars/. But that might have the side effect of enabling sync of calendars on online accounts that are / have been disabled like KALLT mentioned. In my case, I do not have online accounts that does calendar syncing.

After I did this, I restarted OS X and when I got back in Calendar I had the default 'On my mac' calendars enabled a new user account gets. Then I could restore my calendars and reminders from backups correctly.

iTunes syncing with iPhone works too, but my reminders lists show up under the Calendars list in iTunes, so I had to manually deselect all of those before syncing (only have to set this once). I don't think that's normal behavior, but it's a tradeoff I'll take over messed up calendars and reminders.

I haven't had a problem since yesterday now - keeping fingers crossed it stays like that.

Thought I'd share this in case it might help someone with this mad bug... Hopefully Apple can provide a fix - they should - but I wouldn't hold my breath. With all the bugs in Apple software as of last year this is most likely not high in their priorities.

Feb 24, 2015 10:07 AM in response to job-seeker

Actually, it is not exactly true that Calendar app is not a problem, because things keep getting changed like calendar colors. And "something" is responsible for the list of "Sync Calendars" changing order REGULARLY.

So I am not sure who or what to believe!

But micromanaging the Calendar app and the iTunes "Sync Calendars" list isn't what I signed up for when I bought my iPhone 6 Plus. NEVER EXPERIENCED ANYTHING LIKE THIS ON OR WITH MY 4S!

So is OSX - was 10.6.x now 10.10.2 or is it iTunes - no idea what it was, now 12.1 or is it iOS - was 7.1, mow 8.1.3 or some such???

Very Very frustrating!

Mar 10, 2015 3:11 PM in response to job-seeker

I have exactly the same problem (Yosemite iCar/Calendar: Deleted calendar account still shown in sidebar and iTunes). Calendar seems to fail to delete all calendar data once you choose to remove an account. It’s still caching the data for some reason and thus iTunes presumes that these calendars still exist and tries to sync them back to my iPhone. Back on my iPhone I have a list of calendars that are not even supposed to exist anymore. I think there is a flaw in the Calendar application and it needs to be fixed. I wrote a bug report a while ago, hopefully it will lead to something.

As stated in the other thread: I tried deleting the corresponding folders in my user library, but it had no effect. Calendar would always restore these upon restart.

Mar 10, 2015 5:20 PM in response to KALLT

Hi KALT,

Thank you so very very much for posting. Forgive me for how this sounds, because I feel your pain (every day)... I am "delighted" that there is someone else who is having this problem, because I was beginning to think that I was the only one. (Hope you understand the sentiment.)

By any chance, have you contacted Apple about this situation?

What have you tried and did anything make any difference at all?

I'd be very interested in learning more about this situatione you have.

Mar 11, 2015 7:20 AM in response to job-seeker

Thanks for the suggestion, this is what I was doing to prevent iTunes from syncing non-existing calendars. However, it doesn’t sit well with me that this data is still there. Calendar will retain the calendar entries locally even if you remove the calendar or account from your Mac. That just shouldn’t be happening.

Deleting the ~/Library/Calendars folder will have as a result that it will remove all your calendars, but will also enable all your cloud calendars again, even if you turned them off under System Preferences. I have multiple accounts that I don’t use with Calendars, so these are never enabled by me. However, once enabled, Calendar will download all events and keep them, even when you turn the calendar option off for that account, or even after you removed it. I assume that the only temporary option is to remove all Internet accounts, delete that folder (Calendar must be turned off with ‘Quit and Close All Windows’, so that a saved state is not generated). This should leave your calendar completely empty. Adding Internet accounts back one by one without(!) enabling calendar or reminders should prevent Calendar from downloading the data. I haven't tried this yet, but I'm willing to try.

Mar 11, 2015 7:52 AM in response to job-seeker

Don’t bother with my suggestion above. It will open a can of worms.

Just to give you a taste:

* Some of my removed Internet accounts still show up in Calendar, but not anymore in System Preferences, which means that I can’t remove them anymore (since Calendar will refer you to System Preferences).

* When enabling iCloud reminders, Calendar will start uploading all your calendars, even though the option has not been turned on in iCloud settings. This not only brings us back to square one, but also just uploaded lots of data into the cloud that I didn’t want uploaded in the first place.

This is such a huge mess, unbelievable. Stay away, it’s not worth it.

Mar 11, 2015 10:05 AM in response to KALLT

Hi Kalt,

Sounds like you have a bigger mess than I have, mostly because I have no external calendars and no clouds. So I am just syncing between my mac and my iphone/ipad.

I've experienced the recreation of the folders a couple of times, already. PLUS I have discovered a "backup folder nestled deep inside the <user>/Library tree that must be partly responsible for these things getting regenerated. I'll look for it again and post the link here in a little while.

Did I mention that I called Apple support and am working with a senior tech "CPU Senior Advisor" regarding this situation. Yesterday, when I got your email, I forwarded your information to him so that he can pass it along to whatever (engineers, I guess) so that they have another user's scenario to work with.

I totally agree that delete SHOULD MEAN "GONE FOR GOOD!" and not reappear just for the grins of it! This is totally absurd! I have gained some very interesting perspectives during this experience and ..... uh, well, let's just leave it at that for right now. O;)

Mar 11, 2015 10:20 AM in response to job-seeker

The thing is, I don’t use any cloud services for my contacts or calendars, I want to keep these local on my Mac. But I have several Internet accounts under System Preferences that I use for mail only, wit the option to enable calendar syncing as well.

So in sum, I have:

* Local calendars (“On My Mac”)

* iCloud (calendar is disabled, but “Calendar” and “Reminders” calendars show up in iTunes)

* Exchange accounts (calendars are disabled and these don’t show up in iTunes)

* Yahoo (calendar is disabled, but one calendar shows up in iTunes)

* My generic IMAP provider (same thing).

* A deleted Outlook IMAP calendar, which isn’t mentioned in Internet Accounts under System Preferences, so this calendar should not exist.

In Calendar I only see my local calendars now, but in iTunes I see all calendars. It seems that iTunes also thinks that cloud-based calendars can be synced, which makes no sense to me. For instance, my iCloud calendars in iTunes have the suffix: “[AppleID@p03-caldav.icloud.com]” It’s as if iTunes attempts to sync the local data of cloud-based calendars.

Mar 11, 2015 11:03 AM in response to KALLT

Ya' know, Kalt, whatever the circumstance, this is totally inexcusable!

I used to be a developer, and if something that I developed had these types of problems, I would be fired, straight away. But the world is different now.

Anyway, I'm going to take your summary and pass it along to myy apple tech contact so he can use it for amunition.

If I learn something helpful, I will pass it along here. I hope you will do likewise.

And I'm still going to try to find that very burried folder and post it for you to peruse...

I have DELETED calendars showing in my iTunes Sync Calendars List!?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.