Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it true that After March 30, 2015, AOL will no longer support your ability to sign in to the iTunes Store, App Store, or iBooks Store or did I just receive a phishing email?

I just received the following email.....Is this legit? Makes no sense.

Dear iTunes Customer,

Our records indicate that you have been using your AOL Username to sign in to the iTunes Store, App Store, or iBooks Store.

After March 30, 2015, AOL will no longer support your ability to sign in to the iTunes Store, App Store, or iBooks Store. In order to continue using store features, including the ability to access your previously purchased content, you must transition from signing in with your AOL Username to signing in with an Apple ID.

To make this transition, simply sign in once more with your AOL Username to iTunes on your Mac or PC. You will automatically be taken through a few short steps to complete the process.

When the process is complete, your new Apple ID will allow you to continue to purchase and download music, movies, TV shows, apps, books, and more. Additionally, your Apple ID will allow you to access other Apple services, such as iCloud and the Apple Online Store.

This transition does not affect any AOL services you may be using with your AOL Username.

AOL Usernames which have not been transitioned to Apple ID will permanently lose access to the iTunes Store, App Store, and iBooks Store after March 30, 2015. Apple will be unable to provide support for AOL Usernames which are not transitioned by this date.

To learn more about this transition, visit support.apple.com/kb/HT204268.

Regards,

The iTunes Store team

iPhone 4, iOS 7

Posted on Feb 19, 2015 7:23 PM

20 replies

Feb 19, 2015 7:35 PM in response to drodgers106

Since the instructions tell you to sign onto your iTunes account with your AOL ID, it sounds legit. If you were asked to click on a link to change it, that would be a red flag. But signing onto your own iTunes account is not going to cause you issues. If you sign onto iTunes and it guides you through changing your Apple ID, then it is doing as the email has indicated.

Cheers,

GB

Feb 19, 2015 7:43 PM in response to gail from maine

Sorry, I am not making sense I guess.

I went directly to itunes and signed in but I was not directed to do anything to change my Apple ID.

When I attempted to change it myself, it said I needed to use an email address to do so.

I did just click on the link itself and it looks like info from Apple support telling me the same thing as the email.

Feb 19, 2015 8:01 PM in response to drodgers106

Right - I clicked on the link too, and it looks like a legitimate email. However, since it is not prompting you to change your ID as it indicated it would in the email, I would suggest you contact Apple Support at the link above to see what they can tell you.

This is a user to user forum, so we are just users like you. Can't really tell you when the process will be put in place or why the email was sent before it was....

Cheers,

GB

Feb 19, 2015 8:03 PM in response to drodgers106

I have the same e-mail.

When I first accessed iTunes it was back when it was partnered with AOL. I used that account to buy music. Later on, I got an iPad 2 and created an Apple account to dowload apps and I also bought music with the iPad account. So the question I have, is it possible to merge the old AOL account into my newer Apple account to get the music purchases swapped into the Apple account?

Feb 19, 2015 8:20 PM in response to Poeatri

The link that appears in the copy in the OP does not go to an Apple site, it is something to the effect of newitunes.com, whereas the text tells you it is an Apple support document.

However, if you take the text of the support document listed, I put it in my browser and it does lead to a legit Apple Support document about coverting. Convert your AOL Username to an Apple ID - Apple Support Seems this needs to be done by March 31, 2015, as AOL will no longer allow users to use their AOL identification.

Feb 19, 2015 8:27 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Exactly Chris

I checked the long headers of the email and it showed it coming from an apple email address. The IP address of this person showed this to be coming from Apple. The problem, and I suppose I will figure it out eventually, is that when I followed what was said to do....signing in to my account through itunes, it did not direct me to update my Apple ID like it said it would.

I am going to attempt to do it manually I guess and see what happens. Since I have a yahoo email account, and you have to use an email account, I will just switch to that one and see what happens.

Is it true that After March 30, 2015, AOL will no longer support your ability to sign in to the iTunes Store, App Store, or iBooks Store or did I just receive a phishing email?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.