Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Downgrading from itunes 12 back to 11

My laptop went through a system reboot recently and I was forced to get the new itunes 12 and I am very unhappy with it and just want to downgrade back to itunes 11(The first version of itunes I ever got), I've been given tips on how to get an older version of itunes (I was linked here: Apple - Support - Downloads) but the problem is that there is no itunes 11 for 64-bit(I use a Windows 8 laptop). I tried itunes 10.7 but I have trouble navigating it and it constantly asks me to authorize my Apple ID every time I try to play an episode. So if anyone could help I'd greatly appreciate it because this is absolutely ridiculous.

(If anymore information is needed let me know)

Windows 8

Posted on Feb 19, 2015 10:53 PM

15 replies

Feb 19, 2015 11:27 PM in response to Harris71

Thank you for the help but my problem is that I cannot download itunes 11 for 64-bit, I use a Windows 8 laptop and this article is for OS X which isn't compatible with my computer. On the download page it shows itunes 11 for OS X and Windows 32-bit but not Windows 64-bit(Which is the one I need)

User uploaded file

Thank you very much for trying to help though I do appreciate it

Feb 20, 2015 6:05 AM in response to Samuel Sam Samuel

See my user tip Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates for general advice on getting the current version working properly.

If you still want to go back to iTunes 11 these are direct links to the version prior to iTunes 12:

tt2

Feb 27, 2015 8:53 AM in response to turingtest2

i have been having problems with my iTunes after i updated it last week and now devices wont show up and cant sync, and i have looked through multiple threads with solutions and none worked. Any ideas? and i have also tried installing the iTunes 11 you posted and it wont finish installing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated i don't know what else to do.

Feb 27, 2015 9:35 AM in response to Nath924

Nath924 wrote:

i have been having problems with my iTunes after i updated it last week and now devices wont show up and cant sync, and i have looked through multiple threads with solutions and none worked. Any ideas? and i have also tried installing the iTunes 11 you posted and it wont finish installing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated i don't know what else to do.

I did the same, downgraded from 12 to 11 (I have version 11 setup stored in my PC). Setup finishes but iTunes will not run. I click iTunes icon but nothing happens.

Feb 27, 2015 11:05 AM in response to turingtest2

Are you thinking the shortcuts no longer point to the correct iTunes executable? I doubt it. If that's the case, Windows should give me an option to either delete the shortcuts or re-point them to the correct EXE.

Anyway, I am using version 12 now but I'm still having issues with some (random) photos not sync'ing to the iPad. I would want to downgrade to version 11. I didn't have any problem with version 11. If anyone has managed to downgrade from version 12 to 11 successfully, I'd like to hear it.

Feb 27, 2015 12:51 PM in response to ShagCA

My recollection was that some shortcuts these days don't point directly at the executable path but something else that checks and launches the application, although as far as I can tell the iTunes shortcut on my desktop right now is a standard .lnk file.

Direct links to the last V11 installers are given earlier in the thread. You need to tear out all Apple components and also restore a compatible copy of your library file in the manner shown in Empty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrade/crash.

If iTunes won't open properly after apparently installing correctly see iTunes for Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8: Fix unexpected quits or launch issues - Apple Support.

tt2

Feb 27, 2015 3:05 PM in response to Samuel Sam Samuel

Thanks. I still have version 11 installer. I always keep the version that works fine on my PC. I did manually remove all Apple related components, restart my PC and (re)install iTunes 11 after finding out problem with version 12. iTunes 11 wouldn't launch after the downgrade so I immediately removed v.11 (and all its related components), restarted and reinstalled v.12. That's what I'm using now.

The question is... is iTunes downgrade supported? Has anyone successfully downgraded iTunes 12 to 11?

I actually don't mind using version 12 if I can get my photos sync to work as expected. Right now iTunes 12 refuses to sync some photos. There are 10-30 photos that don't want to sync to my iPad. Adding new photos has become a crap shoot. New photos aren't guaranteed to sync in my iPad. All my photos sync fine with iTunes 11.

Feb 27, 2015 3:37 PM in response to ShagCA

I'm not sure that Apple support downgrading as such, but unlike iOS it isn't actively prevented either. It should work fine. From the sound of things the downgrade went OK for the original poster of this thread.

The non-syncing photos sounds like a bug. Any common features/properties? Have you submitted feedback on the issue? Apple can't fix things they don't know about. Deleting the iPod Photo Cache folder in the folder you're syncing from sometimes fixes.sync issues.

tt2

Mar 2, 2015 10:11 AM in response to turingtest2

turingtest2 wrote:

The non-syncing photos sounds like a bug. Any common features/properties? Have you submitted feedback on the issue? Apple can't fix things they don't know about. Deleting the iPod Photo Cache folder in the folder you're syncing from sometimes fixes.sync issues.

tt2

Keep in mind that 100% of my photos sync without a problem with iTunes 11. With iTunes 12, some JPGs randomly fail to sync. There are no common features. I have tried deleting the whole iPod photo cache folder, un-sync the whole photos, re-sync all photos. I'm still not getting all photos in my iPad. There is an error message in the sync log for every JPG that fails to sync. I don't have my home PC with me at the moment so I can't post the error message.

Downgrading from itunes 12 back to 11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.