Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems finishing startup after login

Hi everyone,

Looking for some advice in getting my dad's MacBook functioning properly. There's something wrong with... something. I've attached a thorough log, complete with everything from Console, detailing our endeavors over the course of a few hours. Here's the skinny:

- A few days ago, dad's MacBook spontaneously started hanging (or so it appeared) after successfully logging into his main account

- The screen saver will load if left alone; otherwise, nothing seems to be going on

- He and I talked over the phone; it SOUNDED like a bad hard drive, but I couldn't see what was going on. I advised he go buy a new internal drive (SSD--they're nice and wicked fast) and a backup drive and try to reclaim what he could

- A tech at MacAuthority in his town, after looking at the computer, deduced it was NOT a hard drive failure, but more likely a corruption somewhere in the startup process after the login

- He can start up in his main account if he boots in Safe Boot

- He created a "test" account, which starts up fine in regular boot

Today I decided to "lay hands" on the machine and see what was really going on. After multiple boots in regular and safe boot, examining Console results, and taking actions against issues that SEEMED to be likely culprits, I'm at a loss. Any ideas what could be going on?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w8nqrzsk49vpewi/Login%20Troubles.rtf?dl=0

MacBook (13-inch Mid 2009), Mac OS X (10.6.8), 2.13 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 160GB HD

Posted on Feb 19, 2015 10:46 PM

1 reply

Problems finishing startup after login

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.