Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How best to create disk image through disk utility?

Hello,

i am running out of options to fix my gray screen problem (won't start up) so I want to back up with disk utility. What are the best settings for making a disk image of the hard drive? Thanks for your help.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Feb 20, 2015 3:10 AM

16 replies

Feb 23, 2015 6:25 AM in response to BDAqua

I would do it in Disk Recovery - there are options there on how to do it but I feared what you are saying. I ran Hardware tests & like all tests - it either says nothing or problem resolved. I tried to boot in safe mode but when I tried to sign in as me instead of guest, it never loaded up. I tried again & couldn't do it - just to see if I could login as guest. I'll try that again.

Also, I upgraded to Snow Leopard so should I boot from that disc or the one that came with the computer?

Thanks so much for your help. I really appreciate it.

Feb 23, 2015 10:59 AM in response to adjustment

So, it does or doesn't bootup in Guest in the end?

Boot from the 10.6/SL Install Disk

"Try Disk Utility

1. Insert the Mac OS X Install disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key.

2. When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu at top of the screen. (In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)

*Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.*

3. Click the First Aid tab.

4. Select your Mac OS X volume.

5. Click Repair Disk, (not Repair Permissions). Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk."

Then try Repair Permissions.

Feb 27, 2015 5:19 AM in response to BDAqua

Thanks for your help. I finally had some time to try to work on this. Heavy work week & family in the evenings really allows little else unfortunately.

It does boot up in safe mode as guest.

I ran the install disc as per your instructions & repaired disc 3x. It said all was okay each time but I still ran it 3x until it didn't show any problems & said all was okay. Then I restarted & it is still stuck. It wouldn't allow me to repair permissions though after any of the times I ran repair disc. Does that mean anything?

Any suggestions on what to try next?

Thanks again!

How best to create disk image through disk utility?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.