Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Delayed Mail Activity in Yosemite

Ever since we've updated our machines and mail server to Yosemite, we have received multiple complaints about mail activity.

This includes sent messages not showing in the sent mailbox, and deleted items reappearing in the Inbox.

Monitoring the activity window, I've narrowed this down to the tasks taking longer to perform.

The sent messages do eventually show in the sent mailbox, just not immediately. The items reappearing in the inbox is noticed when switching back and forth between mailboxes after deleting messages (the messages will show back up until the delete task has finished).

Has anyone experienced anything similar after upgrading to Yosemite?

Thanks!

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Feb 20, 2015 4:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2015 7:41 AM

Try unchecking "Automatically detect and maintain account settings" under Mail>Preferences>Accounts> select the affected account, then select the Advanced tab and find this option here.

7 replies

Mar 4, 2015 11:57 AM in response to ipanacea

Thanks for the response.

This does indeed help speed things up! That solves the main issue, but occasionally some items still do not show in the sent folder.

This is also occurring for those with the changes you've recommended.

Looking at the user's mail on the server, I can also confirm that the sent message is NOT located in their sent folder.

However, these emails are being sent as confirmed by the recipients

Any ideas on what could be causing this?

Thanks!

Mar 4, 2015 12:01 PM in response to miked01

Hard to say. Software up to date? (Not that that will resolve the issue, but it's possible, we've noticed this problem sporadically in 10.10.x-10.10.2 and Apple has yet to fix it.)

In some instances if unchecking the box for authentication doesn't do the trick, removing and re-adding the account and then unchecking has seemed to do it.

Mar 9, 2015 7:16 AM in response to ipanacea

Nothing seems to be hanging in the Activity window since I performed the fix you mentioned previously.

Unfortunately, insecure authentication would not be a solution for my environment.

I've contacted Apple Support, and the current solution to this problem is to store sent messages locally instead of on the server.

Thank you for your assistance!

Delayed Mail Activity in Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.