Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I lost the ability to reflect video and audio from iPads to our Promethean boards. Help!

I am the tech at a small grade school. Before Christmas, using iOS 8.1.1, our staff could reflect video and audio from their iOS 8.1.1 iPad 2s via AirPlay and Apple TV to our Promethean whiteboards.

The upgrade of the ipads to iOS 8.1.2 knocked out the capacity to reflect both video and audio. Nothing else changed in our IT infrastructure. The update of the iPads to iOS 8.1.3 restored our ability to reflect video OR audio, but not both simultaneously.

I know,from reading tech forums that others have had this problem. I updated the Apple TV software, but that didn't help. Obviously this greatly inconveniences our classroom teachers.

Therefore, does anyone out there know of a fix for this? Also, does anyone know if next month's upgrade to iOS 8.2 will address/fix this problem. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

iPad 2, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Feb 20, 2015 5:02 AM

14 replies

Feb 22, 2015 6:23 AM in response to norm123

Norm:

Thanks for the reply. It is appreciated.

I have seen this list and have tried everything listed in it EXCEPT peer-to-peer Airplay.

Peer-to-peer Airplay looks like an interesting idea and I will try it tomorrow at work. My only question is: Will it work with iPad2s? The section on peer-to-peer Airplay talks about using iPad 4s (or higher). We are using iPad 2s due to having acquired 30+ refurbished iPad 2s at a great cost savings. Any thoughts on this? Or do we just have to wait for Apple to fix (hopefully) this problem we're having in the iOS 8.2 and/or iOS 8.3 releases?

Mar 9, 2015 9:14 AM in response to rccharles

I have been reading regarding the use of Reflector. Am I correct that Reflector works as follows:

1. Have the classroom's Smartboard turned on, with it's Input set to "1", which is input from a computer;

2. Have the Reflector program downloaded and installed on the classroom's computer (in this case a Windows 7 PC);

3. Turn on the Reflector program on the computer;

4. On the iOS 8.1.3 iPad, mirror to the classroom computer mentioned above using AirPlay;

5. After Steps 1-4, the screen display of the iPad will reflect on the Computer screen, AND in turn will display on the Smartboard screen.

Mar 11, 2015 1:45 PM in response to rccharles

Rccharles:

I downloaded the trial version of Reflector from airsquirrels.com and tested it (64bit Windows version). It WORKED! Now we can mirror audio AND video from our iPad2s via AirPlay to the Windows 7 PC, which in turn uses the Reflector program to project the ipad content to our Promethean boards. Essentially, Apple TV is bypassed, which works around the problem that developed when we updated the ipads to iOS 8.1.2. Of course rooms with Macs connected to the Promethean boards would have the mac version of reflector loaded onto the room Macs.

THANKS for your assistance in this matter!

I lost the ability to reflect video and audio from iPads to our Promethean boards. Help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.