Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the internal CR 2032 battery for?

Early 2008 Power Mac.

I read another post that it helps the computer "remember" where the boot drive or hard drive is for startup. Is that correct?

I get the flashing folder with a question mark on startup and have tried starting up from the installation disc, ran Disk Warrior, ran Apple Hardware Test, connecting to another computer to see if the tower is "recognized" as an external drive and nothing...

Just wondering if the internal battery replacement is worth a shot.

Thanks!

Posted on Feb 20, 2015 7:45 AM

6 replies

Feb 20, 2015 10:09 AM in response to PGCvideo

And if you un-select the boot volume and reselect?

What if your backup system clones? any on USB or Firewire?

My guess is not the battery (I am on original on a 8.5 yr old 1,1) but that Nvram is messed up which does happen due to a mix of faulty USB Apple kb or mouse and / or PCIe cards - and all such cards and devices need to be removed and unplugged to "clear things up.,"

Sometimes moving the drive sled to another drive bay or sled.

Do the two resets with nothing no boot drive present - just slide it out 50%.

And try using another PC keyboard and mouse, one that lacks any NVRAM or firmware actually.

Leaving Apple keyboard out for a week or two can 'bring it back' and let you continue to use it.

Don't ignore any USB device or cable or extension.

The nice part is that a decent keyboard and mouse and even extension cost under $25 for all three.

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Wired-Keyboard-Business-White/dp/B004SUIMGW/ ~ $11

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Comfort-Mouse-4500-Blue/dp/B003BEDPHW/ - grey $13

Feb 20, 2015 6:01 PM in response to PGCvideo

I get the flashing folder with a question mark on startup

That indicates your Mac could not find a working useable Boot drive at the specified location. It is very likely the drive has a problem.

have tried starting up from the installation disc

If you can boot from the Installation DVD, your Mac is working just fine (except for the hard drive).

Answer only the "what language" question and wait -- DO NOT (Continue) down the path toward installing, or you will have to start over. Wait a quarter minute for the MenuBar to be drawn. Choose Disk Utility from one of the Menus.

¿Is your Hard Drive showing up?

¿Is its SMART Status "Verified"?

¿does it have a Macintosh HD Volume?

¿ can you select that Volume and (Repair Disk)?

What is the internal CR 2032 battery for?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.