Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

since downloading latest update of itunes today (!) my ipod nano is no longer working with my laptop, why?

My ipod nano 7th generation has been working fine. Today I updated my itunes with the latest version as requested. Now my nano is no longer recognised by itunes via my USB. I have re installed itunes as prompted but still this does not work.......can anyone tell me why and what can I do about it please?

In as simple terms as possible please as I am no technophbe!

Thanks

iPod nano, Windows 8

Posted on Feb 20, 2015 8:28 AM

5 replies

Feb 21, 2015 2:27 PM in response to grecokev

Hi grecokev,

Thank you for contributing to the Apple Support Communities.

You mention that your iPod nano is no longer recognized by iTunes after an update. Reinstalling iTunes is a good troubleshooting step, and if the device still doesn't appear in iTunes, try the following steps next:

Turn off your computer and your iOS device or iPod, then turn them on again.

Check to make sure that you've installed all required updates for your computer.

Verify that the 30-pin to USB cable or Lightning Connector to USB cable is free of debris and not damaged. If another cable is available, test with that cable instead.

USB cables that are bundled with third-party products or accessories might work only to charge those products and might not transmit data. Also, if you're using a third-party case or extended battery pack, try removing the case and connecting the Apple-supplied USB cable directly to your device.

You can find these steps in this troubleshooting article:

iPhone, iPad, or iPod not recognized in iTunes for Windows - Apple Support

If the steps above don't solve it, see the section of the article called "Verify that Apple Mobile Device Support is installed" for some additional steps to try on your PC.

Best Regards,

Jeremy

Feb 22, 2015 2:24 AM in response to jeremy_v

Thank you very much for the reply.

I have followed your steps (more than once!). I have also followed the Apple Support steps regarding the Apple Mobile Device Support which is installed.

However I have gone to Device Manager on my PC and it does not show Apple Mobile Device USB Driver! and I do not know what to do next!!!!

When I connect the ipod nano to my PC a message reads 'An ipod has been detected, but it could not be identified properly. Please disconnect and reconnect ipod, then try again. If problem persists, uninstall itunes and then intall itunes again' I have done this (more than once) to no avail.

When I open itunes I also get a message that reads 'Unable to check for available downloads. The network connection was reset. Make sure your network connection is active and try again'.

I have never had these problems before so why, all of a sudden am I getting them?

Help!

Regards

Grecokev

Feb 22, 2015 2:20 PM in response to grecokev

Hi Grecokev,

Thank you for your reply.

It looks like you've tried all the steps, but iTunes is still not recognizing your iPod nano. I know this can be a frustrating situation.

Since the issue is persisting, you may want to contact Apple Support for more information using this link:

https://getsupport.apple.com/GetproductgroupList.action.

Best Regards,

Jeremy

Feb 23, 2015 12:21 PM in response to jeremy_v

To join in, I have experienced exactly the same problem with the same error message as Grecokev since installing the latest version of iTunes. Reinstalling made no difference. Interestingly my iPod Classic does work with this latest version. I have an earlier version of iTunes on my laptop and the Nano is recognized there just as it should be. I can do my syncing there, but it seems there must be a glitch in this latest version.

When I looked at my Devices & Printers in the Win 7 Control Panel an Apple iPod USB Device is listed there but in the Properties for it is the ominous message "Windows is uninstalling this device. (Code 21)" with no further information.

Andy

Feb 24, 2015 5:46 PM in response to grecokev

Same issue here as well (Windows 7 x64). My experience is nearly exactly what abirrell described. Trying to install the newest update seemed to ruin Apple Mobile Devices Support. I had to do a full uninstall of iTunes and reinstall an older version to get my device to connect properly again.

Remove and reinstall iTunes and related software components for Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8 - Apple Support

I've had difficulties with the last couple iTunes updates. For now, I'll just keep using 12.1.0.71.

since downloading latest update of itunes today (!) my ipod nano is no longer working with my laptop, why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.