Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

wifi connectivity with Iphone 6

I've noticed my Iphone 6 using the newest IOS 8 operating system, and the previous IOS 8 operating system, will sometimes show all the bars for wifi, yet will not connect to Wifi. It happens most often if I had been on wifi, and then no longer am. For example, at work I have to sign on to wifi if I want to use it. There is no problem using it. But if I don't use the wifi for more than about a half hour, I am actually kicked off wifi.

I can tell, because nothing connects, and I keep receiving messages about checking my internet connection. But my phone will still show all the bars as though it is still connected. My old Iphone 4s, would no longer show the bars in the same situation.

When I get home, if I turn my phone off and back on, I will have wifi again.

Yesterday I had no internet at my house and the phone still showed as if I was connected to wifi.

I was wondering if others have had this problem, and is Apple working on a fix for this.

This is my second Iphone 6, same problem with the first one.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Feb 20, 2015 9:41 AM

3 replies

Feb 21, 2015 4:06 PM in response to friedcam

Hi friedcam,

Thank you for visiting Apple Support Communities.

It seems like your iPhone 6 is showing that it's connected to Wi-Fi networks even after being disconnected from the network, and you need to restart it for Wi-Fi to connect again.

It is unexpected that your iPhone would show Wi-Fi bars when it's no longer connected a network, and I'd recommend trying this troubleshooting step to see if it stops the behavior:

Reset your Network Settings. Tap Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. This also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords, cellular settings, and VPN and APN settings that you’ve used before.

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won’t connect to a Wi-Fi network - Apple Support

If you restored from a backup of your previous iPhone 6 to your current phone, it's possible that unusable settings were carried over, resulting in the same behavior on both devices.

All the best,

Jeremy

Feb 24, 2015 9:35 AM in response to jeremy_v

I tried that, it made no difference.

I no the problem starts at work. I wifi signal there is not very good, unless you keep using it, you lose your connection after about 45 minutes. But the phone tells me I'm still on wifi, on that location. When in fact it will no longer connect, and I keep getting error messages telling me to check my connection to the server, or the server is not responding.

Turning wifi off in settings and turning it back on does not work, it seem to think I am still on the same wifi server.

But ,as I said, even when I get home, the only way to clear this is to turn the phone off and reset it.

wifi connectivity with Iphone 6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.