Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is iCloud not downloading mail to my Mac?

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this but I can't find a Mail forum, so thought I'd start here. Please redirect me if there is a better place for this question.

My iCloud account has been greyed out in the Mailbox > Get New Mail list for over 2 hours. I've checked online and there are a dozen or more e-mails in the inbox since 8:30 am (2 hours ago) but none of them have come into Mail. Mail tells me (in Mailbox > Online Status) that iCloud is online and Mail is set to check for mail every 1 minute but nothing has come in from iCloud all morning.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening. This is NOT the first time - there have been days when I've not had iCloud mail for half a day, then suddenly they all come in at once. Most annoying.

(OSX 10.9.5)

Posted on Feb 20, 2015 10:38 AM

3 replies

Mar 2, 2015 6:11 AM in response to Helen W. Lee

Must be that Mac Plus you are running (heh).

I have had some weird connection issues myself, with ALL my mail accounts going gray every great once in awhile (not just iCloud). I found that the connections were not being made (via connection doctor) despite the ethernet being recognized.

My only solution has been that I need to log out of a user & back in again, or even a whole reboot to get reluctant mail to arrive. In my case, this happened after I started using a VPN & service.

Does your computer ever get shut down, or do you keep it ticking 24/7?

Do you ever verify using Disk Utility?

If I send email across accounts as a test & it doesnt arrive within a minute, something untoward must be up. I dont know why this is occurring either. I tied it to my VPN & taking the machine offline when not expressly needed (network location with no connections), but that was on insufficient evidence & havent conclusively tied it to VPN.

I find that it does no good to check with the ISP - because its always the other guy’s fault first & foremost until you keep coming back to them. In this case, (my variant), its probably not a high likelihood that its an ISP glitch.

If a complete reload of the machine weren’t so daunting (& invariably I have a pressing need for computer during such an event) - that would be my next endeavor, after a full backup.

fwiw: in my view of my version of this condition - I’ve tried resetting routers, to see if its maybe the ISP. It doesn’t fix the mail block. However, a computer reboot DOES.

Why is iCloud not downloading mail to my Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.