Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Over exposed face

Hi - I've got an issue with an interview I shot. It looks terrible - I knew something was wrong when I was doing it but felt time-pressured and just cracked on hoping it would be ok. I've attached a screen grab. I swear I did focus on the person - I focussed from her eyes and pulled out but it still looks soft on her and the leaves look very sharp. It's not helped by the fact it looks over exposed on her face which makes it look soft too. Also the white balance is terrible, even though I did a white balance with her holding a white piece of paper under her chin. I have no idea why it turned out so badly. None of my other footage looks like this..

Anyway - I'm trying to find a way of fixing it to the best that can be done by myself as there is no chance of a re-shoot. I've been trying to download the Captain Blowout plugin but in Final Cut 7.0 it says File Error: Wrong Type. every time I try to put it into FCP.

If anyone has any tips on how I can make this look not so bad, so that it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb with the rest of my nicely exposed, pin sharp, white-balanced rushes, I would be very grateful. I'm only going to use a small part of the interview and then cutaway as soon as I can.

Thanks in advance.

User uploaded file

Final Cut Pro 7, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Feb 20, 2015 1:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2015 1:39 PM

Capt's Blowout Fixer was made just for that purpose:

http://pistolerapost.com/pluginz/index.html

6 replies

Feb 20, 2015 2:23 PM in response to Shane Ross

Hi Shane - great! thanks it's loaded in and I've been having a play. It really is a miracle plugin. I need to tweak some more to get it as close as possible to normal skin tone but think as fixes go this is pretty good.

I've also got a underexposed interview - any good fixes for this?

Really appreciate you getting back to me so quickly. These forums have been a lifesaver.

Feb 20, 2015 2:32 PM in response to Bluemallers

That takes color correction. You can apply the 3-way color corrector, and boost the highlights and the gamma, and then crush the blacks to keep the contrast working. But that is not the best way to get the best image. For that, COLOR is better suited, but that's not a simple plugin, but a fully featured separate app that takes a bit to master. There is Colorista II and III from Red Giant Software. That gives you the same controls as the built in 3-way Color Corrector, but does a much much better job of adjusting colors.

Over exposed face

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.