Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I get Garage Band 11 to completely download?

Every time I try to download GarageBand 11, it always stops and this image pops out.

User uploaded file

Then when I click on?, It says Safari cannot find the server. My connection is just fine, but it says that I need to be connected.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Feb 20, 2015 5:12 PM

5 replies

Feb 27, 2015 5:44 PM in response to GCCFabz

I have the same issue, and posted this a few days ago:

I have a MacBook Air running Yosemite, 10.10.2 and it has GarageBand '11. When I tried to download the guitar lessons, I eventually received a box saying the server couldn't be reached. I clicked on the "?" button to see the problem and got a page that said:

Safari Can't Find the Server.

Safari can't open the page "store.apple.comhttp//store.apple.com/us/help/downloadable_software" because

Safari can't find the server "store.apple.comhttp".

Obviously there is something wrong with the URL; I tried taking out the "store.apple.com" at the beginning and adding a colon after "http" and it got me to a page but it didn't seem to have the lessons I was trying to get. I'd appreciate any help.

I haven't had any replies on this. Not too happy with Apple here.

Feb 27, 2015 5:58 PM in response to capsfan6

I have the same problem with an older Mac and Gb. I contacted Apple but they are just boiler room telephone soothers and don't know Jack about the source of the problem, let alone a real work around. Essentially any route you go takes you back to downloading through the GB. You can not download the the lesson file to your hard drive directly with Safari. So either the GB program is at fault or the Apple server can't fully complete the download. I've watched it all the way through and the downloading progresses all the way to the full data amount but then quits (after having it stop and then resuming numerous time). The phone representative I got first was with iTunes and she gave me 5 songs free as compensation. She then transferred me to an Apple Store rep since iTunes doesn't handle the lesson store. The App Store rep was baffled and I was surprised she was not aware of the problem given all the message posts I've seen. Any way she told me I can't get my money back because the lessons are software and as such are not refundable. I said how can you charge for something that can't be delivered on. Thats fraud in my book and i believe by Law also. After numerous apologies she also gave me a discount coupon at the App store. I can still see the file on my account status. I own it but at this time there is no way to retrieve it. Has anyone out there been able to get lesson downloads? Maybe in the near future it will get fixed and I'll be able to download the lesson. But she couldn't say if they are. II tied windows but don't have GB for it and it wouldn't download directly to the HD, guess you must have GB for any download.

Feb 27, 2015 8:50 PM in response to léonie

Rebooting in Safe Mode and re-downloading doesn't work either. Nice suggestion though to eliminate interference. I've watched the download progress all the way to full data transmission. If you resume downloading before it reaches the maximum it starts where it left of. But after it reaches its maximum data stream the box saying download failed pops up. When I resume downloading it then starts from scratch. It seems that all the data eventually gets transmitted but the server and receiving computer never shake hands so the server withdraws the request and the data never gets reassembled.

I'd like to know if that raw data is dumped on my computer without being reassembled and as such is taking up space on my hard drive or does the system trash it. In the old days with PCs it was easy to find that crap and trash it. I'm not sure where to look on a Mac. Anyway a way to solve the problem might be to ask Apple to download the file directly to the downloads folder via Safari and have the user manually move it to the Garageband Library folder. But Apple is loath to do anything like that, it has to be simpler cause they figure most Mac users are dummies and they may be right. So we're stuck with having GB handle the download.

I have GB 6.0.5 from 2013 and evidently all the updating hasn't solved the problem given the comments here and on other posts. So I figure its a server thing but it can't be a user demand thing otherwise some downloads would complete every once in a while. I haven't gotten one to work since I downloaded the basic lessons 2 years ago. And since it worked then I would have to assume my software is not the problem. I'm not a web guy so why the server for GB isn't performing is anyone's guess. I do know I downloaded a movie rental from iTunes the other night and over 5 gigs transferred without any problem so the GB lesson store must use different servers. I spoke with Apple reps over the phone for both iTunes and the Apple Store. GB is an Apple Store product and so are the lessons, iTunes has nothing to do with it. The app store rep suggested I download the lesson from my online account order page. I did that and guess what, it launches GB and the same failure occurs. So as I stated in my other post I'm SOL on a refund.

How can I get Garage Band 11 to completely download?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.