Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i find my lost ipad with its serial number

i lost my iPad somewhere in my house and i have the serial number but i don't know how to track it.

iPad Mini, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Feb 20, 2015 7:16 PM

10 replies

Feb 20, 2015 7:19 PM in response to Eric54321

You cannot track it by serial number. Best bet is the old fashioned way - search for it.

What To Do If Your iDevice Is Lost Or Stolen

iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad

If you activated Find My Phone before it was lost or stolen, you can track it only if it is connected to the Internet by Wi-Fi or cellular. What you cannot do is track your device using a serial number or other identifying number. You cannot expect Apple or anyone else to find your device for you. You cannot recover your loss unless you insure your device for such loss. It is not covered by your warranty.

If your iPhone, iPod, iPod Touch, or iPad is lost or stolen what do you do? There are things you should have done in advance - before you lost it or it was stolen - and some things to do after the fact. Here are some suggestions:

This link, Re: Help! I misplaced / lost my iPhone 5 today morning in delta Chelsea hotel downtown an I am not able to track it. Please help!, has some good advice regarding your options when your iDevice is lost or stolen.

1. Reporting a lost or stolen Apple product

2. Find my lost iPod Touch

3. AT&T. Sprint, and Verizon can block stolen phones/tablets

4. What-To-Do-When-Iphone-Is-Stolen

5. iCloud- Use Lost Mode

6. What to do if your iOS device is lost or stolen

7. 6 Ways to Track and Recover Your Lost/Stolen iPhone

8. Find My iPhone

9. Report Stolen iPad | Stolen Lost Found Online

It pays to be proactive by following the advice on using Find My Phone before you lose your device:

1. Find My iPhone

2. Setup your iDevice on iCloud

3. OS X Lion/Mountain Lion- About Find My Mac

4. How To Set Up Free Find Your iPhone (Even on Unsupported Devices)

Apr 16, 2015 5:20 PM in response to Eric54321

I have tried to locate mi iPad everyday, but I haven´t had any results because it hasn´t been conected to internet yet 😟.... and searching for more information I found that u can block the wipe & clean and the re-registration of your apple product.. so I did it 🙂, and it is supposed to notify u when someone tries to re-register your iPad in another computer... so u can`t track it, but u can block it forever and make it useless.

The bad thing, is that I don´t know if that block thing works once the thief has already wiped & cleaned the iPad.. I hope that it blocks it once the thief gets in iTunes again.. but I don´t know..

For me, although I feel bad for not having my iPad and that I can´t have it back...I still feel a bit better if the thief can´t use my iPad in any way and I make it useless for him.

Hope it helped somehow.

Apr 16, 2015 5:42 PM in response to JoseGoto

A thief cannot use the iPad without knowing your Apple ID and Password. Apple has introduced Activation Lock so that thieves cannot simply wipe a device and use it. It will be totally useless to them without your credentials. Thefts of iDevices have gone down dramatically as have posts here from those trying to bypass the Activation Lock.

Apr 17, 2015 12:05 AM in response to frazzm737

I know that thiefs can' t get in the iPad without the password, but still anyone can wipe&clean the iPad without having the password and re-register as a new user (if u have an itunes account). I know this because there are many tutorials in youtube that shows how to do what I just mentioned. What I found not so long ago (I was robbed a few days ago) is that if u register your products (with the seria number) in your iTunes account, and put the option as "stolen" u can make that the thief, even with an iTunes account, unable to wipe&clean your iPad . So now your stolen iPad is the same as a brick to the thief . In relation with the main question, I have looked for ways to track my iPad with the serial number too... And the only thing I found I can do, is to block the iPad.., also I haven 't erased it from my account, with the hope that it connects someday, and be able to find it.

Apr 17, 2015 6:27 AM in response to JoseGoto

You seem to be confused about how Activation Lock works. It has nothing to do with the Serial number. If your device is running iOS 7 or later, and you have Find My iPhone turned on on the device, then a thief cannot wipe&clean the device. If they attempt to restore it, it will ask for the password of the person who put the Activation Lock on the account (namely - you). There is no way for them to get around this. If they do not know your password, the device is a brick:

ACTIVATION LOCK

Cheers,

GB

how do i find my lost ipad with its serial number

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.