Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AOL Username to Apple ID

Can I convert my AOL username account to my existing Apple ID, or must I create a new Apple ID? I don't want to lose my account history or the balance on the AOL account.

iPod touch (5th generation)

Posted on Feb 20, 2015 4:31 PM

26 replies

Feb 23, 2015 12:17 PM in response to birzno

According to Convert your AOL Username to an Apple ID - Apple Support you should be prompted to create an account when logging into the AOL id via your computer's iTunes (Store > View Account menu option) :

To convert your AOL Username to an Apple ID, sign in to iTunes on a Mac or PC with your AOL Username. Then follow the on-screen instructions.

You don't create a new iTunes account outside of that using the usual create process, you will not be able to transfer your AOL id content to it if you do so (you can't merge accounts or transfer content to a different account)

Feb 23, 2015 1:42 PM in response to birzno

A workaround you might consider trying to maintain access to all your purchases from multiple Apple IDs is to setup Family Sharing. Add each Apple ID you have and then you can share most iTunes Store purchases between the Apple IDs. Going forward, just begin making purchases on your new Apple ID and use that new Apple ID for all future services like iMessage and FaceTime, etc...

Feb 24, 2015 8:29 AM in response to romad

There was an agreement between AOL and Apple back in 2003, which included being able to use AOL usernames (screen names) to access the iTunes store : http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2003/12/18AOL-Members-Now-Have-Instant-Access-to -Apples-iTunes-Music-Store.html

“AOL members can now conveniently use their AOL screen names and passwords to log onto the iTunes Music Store and use their AOL Wallet or card-on-file to immediately purchase and download songs."

Feb 24, 2015 1:02 PM in response to David Pottinger

I, too, am using my AOL email address (with the "@aol.com"), not my AOL screen name (which does not have the "@aol.com") as my Apple ID so I hope you are correct. What concerns me is that Apple sent me the warning email stating: "Our records indicate that you have been using your AOL Username to sign in to the iTunes Store, App Store, or iBooks Store". Also, when I sign in with my Apple ID I am not getting prompted to change anything. Some more clarity would be helpful. Thanks!

Feb 24, 2015 2:06 PM in response to King_Penguin

I've got both an AOL "username" and "username@aol.com", the later being a valid Apple ID that seems to be good at all stores in the Apple-verse, while the AOL "username" account is only good at iTunes store because a third party cyber-squatted that "username" back in the mobileme.com era.

Both of those accounts have a cash balance due to gift cards.

So, I can't just add @aol.com to my "username" because it's already in use by me.

Anyway, is Apple telling me I need to come up with a new email address to create a new Apple ID? Because all the stuff I've seen about creating an Apple ID says it's got to be valid email address.

I am loath to create a new email address.

Feb 24, 2015 2:56 PM in response to David Pottinger

The emails and their help page only refers to AOL usernames being affected, if you are using an email address then they aren't affected.

Have you ever used your AOL username to log into the iTunes store, and have you bought anything with that account ? If you have then log into that username account and convert it into an Apple id - if you do have purchases and you don't convert it by the end of March then you will lose access to those purchases.

AOL Username to Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.