Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why can't i download itunes to windows 8.1

I just purchased a computer with Windows 8.1. Every time I attempt to download Apple I Tunes, it says that download is complete, but it is no where to be found on my computer. I had Windows XP and all of my tunes are on that computer. I want to transfer/reload them onto this new one. Please help!

iPod shuffle, Windows 8

Posted on Feb 20, 2015 7:03 PM

4 replies

Feb 27, 2015 10:09 AM in response to maddylou

Most browsers will download files to the "Download" folder or the "My Downloads" folder.

If you have a user ICON on your desktop, you can see the download folder in that folder.

Otherwise, you will have to open your home folder (Is the program Windows Explorer that is like the Finder window?) and find your download folder.

Sometimes, you can choose to "run" the download when clicking the download window's button.

Mar 5, 2015 9:41 PM in response to maddylou

There is some anecdotal evidence that the scripts on the Apple site that are supposed to detect the version of Windows you are running may fail for some users - jumping straight to the "Thank you for downloading ..." page with the installer not having been downloaded. As an alternative, you can go directly to the relevant downloads - like the previous 12.1.0.77 release, there are three different installers available, with direct links to these as follows:

The third of these - which is actually the 32-bit application with a 64-bit installer - should be used if you get a warning about video card incompatibility when you install the standard 64-bit version. Based on evidence of the previous release, this may also be an appropriate alternative if you have playback issues or crashes with the standard 64-bit version. In the case of playback issues, you should check the following before trying the "for older video cards" version:

• Varying the Play Audio Using settings under Edit > Preferences > Playback (you need to restart iTunes for changes to take effect). Setting this to "Direct Sound" rather than "Windows Audio Session" has been reported to address some playback issues (though some users have stated the reverse to be the case - this may vary with specific audio hardware/drivers)
  • Verify that you have the latest version (7.7.6) of QuickTime installed - some users have found that absence of QuickTime, or an out-of-date version can result in complete lack of audio output, particularly (though not exclusively) with Bluetooth audio devices.

See turingtest2's notes on Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates for more details if you're still having problems with installation.

why can't i download itunes to windows 8.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.