Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

3 Beeps Reinstalling OS in 2009 13" Macbook Pro

Recently on my 2009 13" Macbook Pro the hard drive failed so I replaced it. I don't have the original OS disc but I do have a retail Snow Leopard copy. When I boot to the disc it load then just begins to beep in groups of 3. After much research this usually means a problem with the RAM but I haven't touched the RAM. I did read somewhere that I need the original discs because of a system patch or something but I have no clue. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

MacBook Pro, Snow leopard

Posted on Feb 20, 2015 6:46 PM

8 replies

Feb 21, 2015 12:08 PM in response to rbcasale

Hi. Is this a known good hard drive? I have the retail Snow Leopard disk and I can boot to it and install or use disk utilities on 2006 all the way to my 2010 Macbook.You should be able to boot to this disk without any operating system installed. I have done this. In steps I think I would try this. First Do a pram reset. Hold down Command/Option/P/R keys for three chimes. SMC reset. http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295 Remove memory and using an eraser clean the memory and wipe with soft cloth, then reinstall. Try using only one memory stick at a time. I had a macbook that had one bad memory and could not even boot to the install disk.

Feb 21, 2015 5:24 PM in response to rbcasale

Hi. You only get the beeps when you insert the snow leopard dvd in and hold down the C to boot to it? Otherwise you get the folder and flashing question mark? Do you have access to an external dvd drive you could use?. Do you have another mac that has firewire and do you have a firewire cable. If you do, you can connect the two start up the 2009 MBP in target disk mode. Hold down T key at startup. Insert the snow leopard disk in the other mac and reboot holding down the C key.You can then use disk utilities to setup the drive on the 2009 MBP. Then go back to install and install the operating system. Restart both and then use the other mac to update the MBP. You should be presented with both the hard drive from the MBP and the other mac so make sure which one you select.

3 Beeps Reinstalling OS in 2009 13" Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.