Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2011 upgraded to Maverick went grey screen

I got a new 2012 Macbook Pro that I want to migrate my docs, jpg's, and my music - MP3 and garageband files to new one. Any ideas how to do this? Thanks!

MacBook Pro, iOS 6.1.5

Posted on Feb 20, 2015 6:33 PM

1 reply

Feb 21, 2015 8:22 AM in response to William Senkiwsky

Your title refers to a grey screen - does the computer start or is it getting stuck on a grey screen?

Try using Migration Assistant or the Target Disk Mode to transfer files.

When you use Migration Assistant, it normally sets up a new account. Go to System Preferences/Users & Groups to see if a new account was setup. If so, log out and then log in using the new account. Check for what you are missing. If you find it, copy it to either the users Public folder or the hard drive/Users/Shared folder. While there, see if there is anything else. When complete, log out and log in the other user account and copy the data to your normal account. You can then delete the new account if desired.

Migration Assistant

Migration Assistant (2)

Migration Assistant – Tips and Tricks

Migration Assistant/Set Up Assistant - Mavericks

If the 2 computers have the correct cable connections, try the Target Disk Mode.

Target Disk Mode - Mavericks

2011 upgraded to Maverick went grey screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.