Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I delete the motion 4 library before installing motion 5?

I just got a new Mac Pro with Yosemite on it, and I just installed FCP 7 last night, and when I tried to launch Motion, I discovered that Motion 4 won't run on Yosemite. I'm a little puzzled about why the installer still let me install it -- I thought the installer is supposed to check to see if the software is compatible with my system? -- but no matter. I see that the new version of Motion is fairly inexpensive, so I'll just go with that. My question is, can Motion 5 use any of the Motion 4 content that the FCP 7 installer put on my system? It does take up a huge amount of space on my SSD, and if it's not usable, I'd just as well delete it before installing Motion 5. Thanks.

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel, 16 GBram

Posted on Feb 21, 2015 2:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2015 2:05 PM

Most of the Library content is the same. If you plan to convert/upgrade older templates from earlier versions of Motion (and I believe Motion 5 will at least open Motion 2 projects correctly) you should keep your old Library content around, even if it's redundant.

There are a few filters that aren't around anymore in Motion 5. In order to get them into M5, you'll need to open a project that was created in Motion 4 that used the filters, then drag the filter (from the layers list) into the Library > Favorites section (if they still work in Motion 5). [Two specific filters that come to mine are Primatte RT (if you don't want to have to convert Keyed content) and the Displace filter (which has been replaced by Bump Map.) There may be a few others, and for awhile Droste was one, but that has since ceased to operate in newer versions of Motion 5.]

If you had 3rd party content like freebie generators from idustrial revolution (World and Coverflux still work in M5 that you manually installed, you'll want to copy those over as well (most of them still work in M5.)

After you've finished updating older projects and moving items specific to Motion 4 over into Motion 5 (via Favorites), then you can delete the old Library content.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 21, 2015 2:05 PM in response to Jeremy Bell2

Most of the Library content is the same. If you plan to convert/upgrade older templates from earlier versions of Motion (and I believe Motion 5 will at least open Motion 2 projects correctly) you should keep your old Library content around, even if it's redundant.

There are a few filters that aren't around anymore in Motion 5. In order to get them into M5, you'll need to open a project that was created in Motion 4 that used the filters, then drag the filter (from the layers list) into the Library > Favorites section (if they still work in Motion 5). [Two specific filters that come to mine are Primatte RT (if you don't want to have to convert Keyed content) and the Displace filter (which has been replaced by Bump Map.) There may be a few others, and for awhile Droste was one, but that has since ceased to operate in newer versions of Motion 5.]

If you had 3rd party content like freebie generators from idustrial revolution (World and Coverflux still work in M5 that you manually installed, you'll want to copy those over as well (most of them still work in M5.)

After you've finished updating older projects and moving items specific to Motion 4 over into Motion 5 (via Favorites), then you can delete the old Library content.

Should I delete the motion 4 library before installing motion 5?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.