Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to copy/paste texts/images from webpages in iBooks Author?

Hi,

I want to copy/paste text/image contents from webpages with iBooks Author, somehow images can't be copied, only texts can be copied with copy/paste editing. Wonder if there are any ways to include images with simple copy/paste?

Tried to search iBooks Author help, could not find answers. Please help.

Thanks

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Feb 21, 2015 4:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2015 9:06 PM

Perhaps the people who spent a lot of time and money to produce the websites.....and who own copyright ...don't want anybody using their work without payment or credits. Have you contacted the websites owners to ask permission?

IF any person(s) use anything from websites without permission apart from being to lazy to email to request permission....could face a legal action if and when the sites owners fins out.

There is another her misconception that "free" websites and content on "social media" such as the dreaded FaceBook....can be used without consequence. Almost all "free" websites are common licence material - which requires permission and those who give permission do so only for personal or none profit reproduction.

i Use a blocking script on my websites which apart from preventing a right click...those who try are whisked off my website to the the UK copyright website page which explains my rights!

You may wish to check out your iBooks contract with Apple and read their warnings on use of others copyright material.

You could ..and should contact the websites...explain what you want to use and why....and ask them if they can supply media.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 21, 2015 9:06 PM in response to David-SG44

Perhaps the people who spent a lot of time and money to produce the websites.....and who own copyright ...don't want anybody using their work without payment or credits. Have you contacted the websites owners to ask permission?

IF any person(s) use anything from websites without permission apart from being to lazy to email to request permission....could face a legal action if and when the sites owners fins out.

There is another her misconception that "free" websites and content on "social media" such as the dreaded FaceBook....can be used without consequence. Almost all "free" websites are common licence material - which requires permission and those who give permission do so only for personal or none profit reproduction.

i Use a blocking script on my websites which apart from preventing a right click...those who try are whisked off my website to the the UK copyright website page which explains my rights!

You may wish to check out your iBooks contract with Apple and read their warnings on use of others copyright material.

You could ..and should contact the websites...explain what you want to use and why....and ask them if they can supply media.

Feb 21, 2015 11:48 PM in response to vinnyvg

Hi

Thank you for your reminder on the copyright issue when copying content from webpages.

My intended use of the copied clips of webpages is to read the iBooks version for my own reading,

I don't think doing so would violate copyright of content creators.

BTW, my question is on how to do it technically, not how to do it legally though.

Feb 22, 2015 3:36 PM in response to David-SG44

I do not really understand what you mean! Copy text/images whatever from webpages - then paste into iBooksAuthor - create a book - then use it as your personally copy of the website?

If so - then go back to my first reply.... explain all this to the website owner and ask permission.

I fail to see any logic to this... Mac computer of iPad - both capable of opening webpages to sit and view as you will.

However, if thats what you prefer - you could make a gesture and offer the site owners a copy of the book in ibooks format to offer their viewers as a download. Free distribution is allowed by Apple.

Feb 23, 2015 6:52 AM in response to David-SG44

David-sg44: Without getting into the legal aspects of your question (as far as I know, you could be trying to get content from a site you or your client owns, it's none of my business), you'll need to individually right-click on images to copy them, and then you can paste them in IBA. Another way is to just click and drag the images from Safari directly into IBA.

Feb 23, 2015 12:29 PM in response to sb0117

While agreeing it is none of our business what other people do with regard copying other peoples work - when offering advice how to do the copying - I consider I have a duty to inform newcomers to iBooksAuthor and possibly self publishing, about the copyright aspect and possible penalties that could be incurred. Not least if a "victim" of copyright theft decided to take legal action against the copier and also involve Apple for hosting an eBook which infringes copyrights. Apple also include a such matters in their contract.

Fact is, whatever the OP wants to use other peoples copyright material for - and if it was a client he would have mentioned that after my first post and it would have been easier for the "client" to have supplied original text/images - the first and polite way is to contact them and ask permission.

Feb 23, 2015 1:53 PM in response to vinnyvg

vinnyvg: Relax. I'm not a lawyer, but I know about copyright laws. David-SG44 had a technical question on how to copy/paste content, and I answered it. You were right to mention the potential legal implications of his question, but that still doesn't mean we can't answer his question since there are many legitimate reasons why he would want to be able to copy/paste content. BTW, most clients wouldn't necessarily have their Web content available outside their Web site, since most users type in content ton their WCM (Wordpress included) directly.

Feb 23, 2015 9:50 PM in response to sb0117

Technical question! Copy and paste is a basic in any computer or device. Lawyer or not....copying material from a website not owned is ....like it or not...a potential breach of copyright. In the footer of every website with very few exceptions....is a copyright notice and may include "All Rights Reserved".

Taking the view that anybody asking how to copy from a website ....and did not even try the basic copy and paste....seemed a candidate for a reminder about copyright.

Almost every day TV news has something to say about people downloading movies or TV programmes etc, those who do know it's illegal...but most just consider anything online as being up for grabs. Better then to pass some info to a newbie about copyright issues. Perhaps we could know which website and check it out for him.

How to copy/paste texts/images from webpages in iBooks Author?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.