Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto hangs while requesting local print

Hello,

I am using Yosemite 10.10.2, and iPhoto 9.6.

My printer is a SELPHY CP900.

It has always worked for me (using the Share Print or File->Print as well as + P).

But lately I get stuck on the "Spinning Beach Ball of Death" when requesting to print a photo.

Tried all the possible rebuild of the iPhoto Library (177 Gb, 33.745 Photos) using the ALT key at startup, without success.

This is the message I get in the console.

iPhoto[696]: NSProButtonCell: attempt to decode an unrecognized element (0)

Hope someone can help.

(Also tested a new empty library, and this works ok)

Posted on Feb 21, 2015 3:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2015 9:04 AM

Since the new library was able to print OK the problem lies with the old library. Also since you've tried all of the First Aid options give this a try:

Using iPhoto Library Manager to Rebuild Your iPhoto Library

1 - download the demo version of iPhoto Library Manager and launch.>Click on the Add Library button,

User uploaded file

2 - select the library you want to add from those in the selection window.

3 - make sure that in the rebuild window the checkbox "Scavange orphaned photos" is checked.

User uploaded file

4 - now that the library is listed in the left hand pane of iPLM, click on your library and go to the Library ➙ Rebuild Library menu option

User uploaded file

5 - in the next window name the new library and select the location you want it to be placed. Click on the Create button.

Note 1: This creates a new library based on the LIbraryData.xml file in the library and will recover Events, Albums, keywords, titles and comments. However, books, calendars, cards and slideshows will be lost.

Note 2: Your current library will be left untouched for further attempts at a fix if so desired.

User uploaded file

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 21, 2015 9:04 AM in response to -PhS-

Since the new library was able to print OK the problem lies with the old library. Also since you've tried all of the First Aid options give this a try:

Using iPhoto Library Manager to Rebuild Your iPhoto Library

1 - download the demo version of iPhoto Library Manager and launch.>Click on the Add Library button,

User uploaded file

2 - select the library you want to add from those in the selection window.

3 - make sure that in the rebuild window the checkbox "Scavange orphaned photos" is checked.

User uploaded file

4 - now that the library is listed in the left hand pane of iPLM, click on your library and go to the Library ➙ Rebuild Library menu option

User uploaded file

5 - in the next window name the new library and select the location you want it to be placed. Click on the Create button.

Note 1: This creates a new library based on the LIbraryData.xml file in the library and will recover Events, Albums, keywords, titles and comments. However, books, calendars, cards and slideshows will be lost.

Note 2: Your current library will be left untouched for further attempts at a fix if so desired.

User uploaded file

Feb 22, 2015 4:13 AM in response to Old Toad

It took almost 4 hours ... but after that, from the newly created library, I am able to print again.

Thanks

For your information, in the Console, when I Share to Print, these are the messages I get :

iPhoto[2260]: The function ‘CGContextClear’ is obsolete and will be removed in an upcoming update. Unfortunately, this application, or a library it uses, is using this obsolete function, and is thereby contributing to an overall degradation of system performance.

and this is just after

iPhoto[2260]: NSProButtonCell: attempt to decode an unrecognized element (0)

PhS

iPhoto hangs while requesting local print

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.