Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Triple boot with 2 drives on MBP early 2011 13"

I wasn't too sure where to submit this, but I have an early 2011 MBP 13" running OS X Yosemite and Windows 8.1 on a 256 GB SSD. A friend just gave me a 128 SSD and I was wondering if I'm able to use the OWC Data Doubler to replace the optical drive with the 128GB SSD. I then want to put Ubuntu 14.04 on the 128GB SSD while keeping OS X and Windows on the 256 GB. Is this possible?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Feb 21, 2015 6:20 AM

14 replies

Feb 21, 2015 9:30 AM in response to bpyle0092

Yes. As long as you do not mess with the current Windows/OSX SSD, you can install Ubuntu using EFI. Please post back after you replace the Optical drive with the 128GB SSD and are ready to install Ubuntu. Please be aware that once you replace the Optical drive, Windows re-installation will not work, it requires the original hardware configuration to be able to do that, which means you will have to replace the 128Gb SSD with the OD, if you want to resize/reinstall Windows.

Feb 22, 2015 1:19 PM in response to Loner T

I'll second Loner T's yes, but with a slightly different procedure.

I did this recently with a Mid 2010 MBP which had Mavericks and Boot Camp/Win Vista on the SSD. I cloned Lion from the previous HDD to a new 120 SSD in an external enclosure. Then I removed the SSD from the enclosure and installed it into the MBP with a Data Doubler.

Can you install Ubuntu on the DD drive in an external enclosure? Consider backing up your Boot Camp partition with Winclone to save the hassle of re-installation

.User uploaded file

Feb 23, 2015 2:46 PM in response to bpyle0092

Is there any reason I can't just put the 256 SSD back in the primary bay and then put the 128 SSD in the data doubler?

No there is no reason not to. Since you already have the configuration that you want on both drives. The GPT/MBR entries are locally stored on each respective disk, and have not interaction with the the other disk.

If you run into any issues with any of the OSes, please post back.

Feb 23, 2015 3:35 PM in response to Loner T

I was watching a youtube demo on the installation and it says "CAUTION. The 2012 MacBook Pro's optical bay can not reliably support 6Gb/s SSDs and Hard Drives. However SATA 3 Gb/s SSDs and Hard Drives will work without issue in the optical bay." The SSD I have is 128GB Crucial M4, which is 6Gb/s. Does this mean it won't work?

Feb 23, 2015 4:32 PM in response to bpyle0092

Much better. I suggest the MX100 in the main bay, and the older M4 in the Optibay. The M4 is likely much more stable at lower speeds, since it is an older product. Please try this configuration and post back, if you run into any issues.

Please also see http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-SSDs/Problem-with-Optibay-SSD-on-Macbook-Pro -Late-2011/td-p/130922

Triple boot with 2 drives on MBP early 2011 13"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.