Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I format a CD-RW disc on my macbook pro with OS X, 10.9.5?

I plug in an unformatted cd-rw and I don't get a prompt to format the disc. Appreciate any advice.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Feb 21, 2015 7:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2015 11:49 AM

Hello Joseph,

If I understand correctly you need to get your CD-RW formated. You should be able to do that with the Disk Utility, and this article should help you do that:

Disk Utility 12.x: Erase a disk, CD, or DVD

Erase a CD-RW or DVD-RW disc

You can erase a rewritable CD or DVD so you can reuse it.

1. Open Disk Utility, in the Utilities folder in Launchpad.
  2. Insert the disc into your computer’s optical drive or an optical drive connected directly to your computer.

You can’t burn a disc using a remote optical drive.

3. Select the disc and click Erase.
  4. If you haven’t been able to save to or read from the disc reliably, select Completely. Otherwise, select Quickly.

Quickly erasing a disc takes a few minutes. Completely erasing it can take about an hour.

5. Click the Erase button.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

All the best,

Sterling

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 22, 2015 11:49 AM in response to josephfromwestend

Hello Joseph,

If I understand correctly you need to get your CD-RW formated. You should be able to do that with the Disk Utility, and this article should help you do that:

Disk Utility 12.x: Erase a disk, CD, or DVD

Erase a CD-RW or DVD-RW disc

You can erase a rewritable CD or DVD so you can reuse it.

1. Open Disk Utility, in the Utilities folder in Launchpad.
  2. Insert the disc into your computer’s optical drive or an optical drive connected directly to your computer.

You can’t burn a disc using a remote optical drive.

3. Select the disc and click Erase.
  4. If you haven’t been able to save to or read from the disc reliably, select Completely. Otherwise, select Quickly.

Quickly erasing a disc takes a few minutes. Completely erasing it can take about an hour.

5. Click the Erase button.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

All the best,

Sterling

How do I format a CD-RW disc on my macbook pro with OS X, 10.9.5?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.