Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook charger caught fire! Anyone else?

My macbook charger began smoking, sparking, then caught fire today. 3 of my friends at different locations with different models of macbook pro have also had this issue this same week! We all added the Feb 7th update for Yosemite. Is anyone else having this issue?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Feb 21, 2015 10:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2015 10:36 AM

Contact Apple about this, I'm almost sure they'll send you a new charger for free.

You can visit your local Apple Store or Premium Reseller, or call Apple: Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

5 replies

Oct 23, 2016 5:45 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Apple store manager - Physically inspected damage, it was a very quick inspection. Said problem was "physical damage by user" and not covered under AppleCare. Said only solution was the purchase of a new adaptor. Didn't ask but I feel like he has seen this problem before.

Apple technical support manager (phone) - Said he sided with Apple store manager, but asked for pictures regardless which I sent. I expressed my primary concern over the potential fire hazard, but felt this person was more concerned about me asking for a replacement.

Macbook charger caught fire! Anyone else?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.