Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is triggering of Liquid Contact Indicator (LCI) an automatic reason for voiding warranty?

I bought an iPhone 6 128 gb from Amazon.in on Feb 11, 2015, which was delivered the next day. The website states that the phone carries a 1 year manufacturer warranty. The moment I unpacked it and started using it, within a few hours, the phone abruptly shut down and restarted. This was weird but I thought that it must have been on account of an update that required a restart. I used it for the next 5 days without incident. However, 6 days later (Feb 18, 2015) the phone behaved similarly but this time it just shut down completely and refused to re-start. The very next day I took it to the authorized service center in Mumbai, who after running diagnostics, said that there was water damage and that the LCI had been triggered. They then proceeded to tell me how the warranty was voided because of that (LCI) and that the option for me was to buy a new phone (because Apple does not repair its phones). Now I have a couple of issues with this diagnostics:

1. The consumer HAS TO accept whatever the 'one-sided secretive' diagnostics the Apple service team provides. There is no third party that evidences their diagnostics or have approved such tests (point 2 below will state why that is important). There is no evidence that Apple provided to me of the fact that the iPhone wasn't affected by water BEFORE it was delivered to me; THAT, according to Apple, I have to take at face value basis the warranty that they advertise. How do I know that the service engineer did not mistakenly knock over a glass of water on the phone while running diagnostics? Also, it would require some seriously artificially intelligent software that would work enough to start the display, show me the Apple logo and then refuse to go further because of water damage!! If truly there is water damage, the phone won't start up at all.

2. Apple paid $ 53 mn in a class action lawsuit where it was revealed that the LCI can turn pink because of humid conditions and doesn't necessarily have to be exposed to water. Yet, Apple in India, refuses to take cognisance of this fact and continues to void its own warranty. Anyone who lives or operates a business in India (Apple does) knows that Mumbai has an extremely humid climate. So then Apple should stop selling their iPhones here if they are not homologated for Indian cities, which they wont because they want the business.

I am now holding a Rs 65,000 (US $1,050) paperweight that is frankly, completely useless to me. My question is whether anyone faced this issue and what has Apple's reaction to such situations in the US? If there are Apple company personnel that read these posts, is there any help that you can offer in resolving the issue.

Regards.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1.3, DEAD in 6 days!!!!

Posted on Feb 21, 2015 10:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2015 10:38 AM

There is no one from Apple here.

You could have removed the SIM tray and checked that LCI before you took it in. I would guess it was already triggered. The symptoms you described would be indicative of previous water exposure which is dependent on how much damage was done. The suit Apple settled was on earlier models of the iPhone.

Sounds like someone sold you an iPhone that was damaged.

26 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 21, 2015 10:38 AM in response to Pervez_w

There is no one from Apple here.

You could have removed the SIM tray and checked that LCI before you took it in. I would guess it was already triggered. The symptoms you described would be indicative of previous water exposure which is dependent on how much damage was done. The suit Apple settled was on earlier models of the iPhone.

Sounds like someone sold you an iPhone that was damaged.

Feb 21, 2015 10:39 AM in response to Pervez_w

Apple doesn't read these forums. If you had read the Terms of Use of this forum, you would know that.

Either contact Apple or use the feedback channel at www.apple.com/feedback.

I also live in a humid climate. None of the iPhones that I manage have had triggered external LCIs, other than those that have been dropped in water.

You bought it from Amazon? Contact the seller, since they sold you a device that obviously had liquid damage.

Feel free to seek legal counsel, but if Apple has deemed your device is not eligible for in-warranty service (and the LCI by itself isn't the only thing they check; there are internal sensors that will NOT turn 'pink' unless exposed to water, not just humidity), then that's the final answer. No one on this forum can assist you.

Feb 21, 2015 11:15 AM in response to Pervez_w

When you got the phone was it sealed in the box iPhones come in (including with the clear plastic wrapped around it)? Also, was it actually Amazon that sold you the phone, or was it a third party (not shipped by Amazon)?

If it was shipped by Amazon, I would contact Amazon support and see what they can do for you, they normally are pretty good about replacing damaged things they sell.

Feb 21, 2015 8:57 PM in response to TJBUSMC1973

HiTJBUSMC1973. Looks like I got a defective piece after all. The idea behind warranty is that if there are defects that exist prior to a consumer getting the phone, its the manufacturer's responsibility to get it fixed. If the warranty is conditional on consumers conducting quality checks (and that does not mean switching on the phone but opening it up to see if the LCIs have been triggered) prior to purchasing a product (like Apple has conveniently done) then at the time of sale, these must be highlighted and proven to the consumer as 'defect-free'.

Also, unless you have more credible information to share, in 2013 Wired reported that the tape maker 3M mentioned that the tape turns pink because of humidity and not just water http://www.wired.com/2013/04/iphone-warranty-flap/. Can you share the latest statements that you seem to be aware of where Apple and 3M have made advances to ensure that the tape turns pink only when exposed to water and not humidity. It would be useful for me to cross one more option.

Regards.

Feb 21, 2015 9:03 PM in response to KiltedTim

Hi KiltedTim, I would buy your agreement if iPhones sold by Amazon India did not carry a warranty (http://www.amazon.in/Apple-iPhone-Space-Gray-128GB/dp/B00O4WU4G0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=U TF8&qid=1424581161&sr=8-2&keywords=iphone+6+128+gb). Please refer to the link above and it plainly states that. If not, then Amazon is committing a grievous offence of misrepresenting to consumers across India, for which it must be sued. However, when I took the phone to the Apple Service Center, while taking the phone, they said it was under warranty but only when they discovered LCI, did they mention that it was NO LONGER under warranty. So I don't think buying from Amazon voids your warranty but its worth checking it out. Let me research this further. Thanks for your response.

Feb 21, 2015 9:23 PM in response to Pervez_w

Pervez_w wrote:

Hi Pogster,

No idea.

I don't neither but the article which you quoted is dated in 2013 and states the affected phones were the original iPhone, the iPhone 3, and iPhone 3GS. It does not include the iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPhone 5C, iPhone 5S, iPhone 6, or iPhone 6+. The 4 was released in 2010 so apparently from then on it would appear Apple is using a different kind of indicator. Why are you trying to make a connection between the moisture indicators on the early phones with those on later models including your 6? Is that link supposed to prove something? Face it, you bought a phone from an unauthorized source that Apple did not supply them with in the first place.

Is triggering of Liquid Contact Indicator (LCI) an automatic reason for voiding warranty?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.