Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport express change led color

Hello. I need help.

I have a problem with my airport network.

I have a base airport extreme. Hence get an ethernet cable to a swicth and swicth ethernet cable goes out 2 to 2 airport express base. Occasionally the green led one of the base aiport express changes to orange and the area of the house without wifi.

Could anyone help me?

Thank you very much.

Posted on Feb 21, 2015 11:10 AM

11 replies

Feb 21, 2015 11:58 AM in response to pamon_1

If possible I would suggest that you bring all of your networking hardware into the same room as your AirPort Extreme base station. You can then move them to the proper locations once verified.

You have the basis for a roaming networksince each of your AirPort base stations are interconnected by Ethernet. What is the exact model number of each of your base stations? If you temporarily remove the two AirPort Express base stations can you get Internet connectivity with just the Extreme?

Feb 21, 2015 12:56 PM in response to pamon_1

Ok, thanks for the updates. Just to be sure, what are the model numbers of each of your base stations. For example, a 1st generation Extreme would be: A1143. A 1st generation Express would be: A1264. Do these match yours?

If so, then let's start with adding one Express back into the network. Doesn't matter which one you choose. Please perform the following steps. When done, you should have a working roaming network with just the Extreme and 1st Express. Once verified that it is working, we can add the 2nd Express following the steps for adding an additional station.

The following are step-by-step instructions, using version 6.x of the AirPort Utility in manual mode, to configure a roaming network.

First, there are a few key elements to successfully configuring a roaming network, and they are:

• All of the base station must be interconnected by Ethernet. Note: You can use non-Apple routers in this type of network.
  • All base stations must have unique Base Station Names.
  • All base stations must use the same Radio Mode and Wireless Security Type/Password.
  • Each base station should be on a different Radio Channel. Using "Automatic" works well here.
  • All base stations, other than the "main" base station, must be reconfigured as a bridge.

Let's start with the "main" base station. This will be the one directly connected to the Internet modem:

• AirPort Utility > Select the "main" base station > Edit
  • Base Station tab > Base Station Name > Enter a unique name here
  • Internet tab > Connect Using: DHCP
  • Wireless tab > Network Mode: Create a wireless network > Wireless Network Name > Enter the desired name. This will be used on all base stations > Wireless Security: WPA2 Personal (recommended) > Wireless Password > Enter the desired wireless password. This will be used on all base stations.
  • Network tab > Router Mode: DHCP and NAT
  • Click on Update

For each additional base station added to the roaming network:

• AirPort Utility > Select the appropriate base station > Edit
  • Base Station tab > Base Station Name > Enter a unique name here
  • Internet tab > Connect Using: DHCP
  • Wireless tab > Network Mode: Create a wireless network > Wireless Network Name > Enter the desired name. This will be used on all base stations > Wireless Security: WPA2 Personal (recommended) > Wireless Password > Enter the desired wireless password. This will be used on all base stations.
  • Network tab > Router Mode: Off (Bridge Mode)
  • Click on Update

Airport express change led color

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.