Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Leopard on Powerbook G3?

At 500Mhz, 768MBs of ram, and a 5400rpm 40GB drive, my Powerbook G3 runs Tiger quite well.

What are the chances it'll run Leopard? Even if I updated the drive to a 7200rpm model, I'm worried the graphics requirements will be too much for my reliable old machine to handle.

Any word out there on the minimum requirements will be?

Powerbook G3 500Mhz, Mac OS X (10.4.8), 768 RAM

Posted on Oct 9, 2006 10:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2006 3:30 AM

The rumors are pointing to a G4 and above requirement for Leopard. But we won't know for sure until Apple releases the official information.

However, even when Apple says it does not work, it often does work if one can get around the restrictions imposed by the installation process. For example, a tray-loader iMac is not supported by Tiger, but if you can get it installed on the hard drive by using a supported (PPC) Mac and an external Firewire case, it works just fine.

Having said that, I think the best version of Mac OS X for Pismo (and most G3 Macs), is Mac OS X 10.3.9 (Panther).
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 10, 2006 3:30 AM in response to Enio Rigolin2

The rumors are pointing to a G4 and above requirement for Leopard. But we won't know for sure until Apple releases the official information.

However, even when Apple says it does not work, it often does work if one can get around the restrictions imposed by the installation process. For example, a tray-loader iMac is not supported by Tiger, but if you can get it installed on the hard drive by using a supported (PPC) Mac and an external Firewire case, it works just fine.

Having said that, I think the best version of Mac OS X for Pismo (and most G3 Macs), is Mac OS X 10.3.9 (Panther).

Leopard on Powerbook G3?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.