Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 5K whining noise

Hi my iMac 5K now is starting to whine, it is intermediate, the noise can be audible when idle or doing some task typically not that CPU intensive or room is silent, and faintly when there are some ambient noise. But not all the time.

I would imagine it would starting to become more and more prevalent... is it just a type of rattle? or something.

Posted on Feb 21, 2015 12:26 PM

3 replies

May 13, 2015 7:53 PM in response to den.thed

Just an update, the whining, noise has probably now become a buzzing noise, I think it is next to where the memory modules are.

This noise is constant, dies down after 50 minutes, then starts up again within 1 minute. Constant buzzing, like electrical buzzing noise? perhaps. I have changed power boards but with the same result.

Lols shipping this HUGE iMac 5K to Apple would be an interesting experience.

Also the noise does not change much when running intensive tasks etc. I have not try to stress it by playing GTA V in Windows thou 😝 yet. Turning the brightness up and down doesn't change the sound.

Temperatures are fine within limits, its usable, but the electrical buzzing noise is kinda getting on my nerves 😝

iMac 5K whining noise

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.