Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple id transition

Ive just got am email telling me I need to change my loggin id from aol to appld id. It tells me to log in and I will be redirected to "simple steps" to change it. Ive logged in but not been redirected. I have tried to contact apple but they want to charge me £25 to help (******) so I tried to change my id manually but have to include a current email address ie aol! Im going around in circles......please help

Posted on Feb 21, 2015 1:14 PM

1 reply

Feb 22, 2015 1:49 PM in response to terriq

Hi terrq,

I believe the change that is needed is to have a complete email address as the Apple ID. In other words, if your Apple ID used to be your screen name (ex. Terri1234), then you would change it to your email address (ex. Terri1234@aol.com).

I'll include some more specific information below on how to change your Apple ID information.

Convert your AOL Username to an Apple ID - Apple Support
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204268

Customers who use an AOL Username to sign in to the iTunes Store, App Store, or iBooks Store must convert to an Apple ID before March 31, 2015.

Starting March 31, 2015, AOL will no longer allow customers to use their AOL Username (also known as an AOL Screen Name) to sign in to the iTunes Store, App Store, or iBooks Store.
You must convert your AOL Username to an Apple ID in order to maintain access to the stores and to content you purchased previously.

Apple can't provide support for AOL Username accounts that aren't converted by this date. This transition doesn't affect any AOL services that you use with your AOL Username.

Convert your account

To convert your AOL Username to an Apple ID, sign in to iTunes on a Mac or PC with your AOL Username. Then follow the on-screen instructions.

Your new Apple ID will maintain your access to the iTunes Store, App Store, and iBooks Store, as well as all of the content you bought using your AOL Username. You can also use your Apple ID with iCloud and other Apple services.

Information about products not manufactured by Apple, or independent websites not controlled or tested by Apple, is provided without recommendation or endorsement. Apple assumes no responsibility with regard to the selection, performance, or use of third-party websites or products. Apple makes no representations regarding third-party website accuracy or reliability. Risks are inherent in the use of the Internet. Contact the vendor for additional information.

Last Modified:

Change your Apple ID - Apple Support
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202667

Change your Apple ID

Learn how to change the email address that you use as your Apple ID.

In most cases, your Apple ID is also the primary email address of your Apple ID account. You can change your Apple ID to any other email address you control, as long as it's not already in use as an Apple ID. If your email address ends with @icloud.com, @me.com, or @mac.com, it's already an Apple ID.

Use these steps to reset your Apple ID:

1. Sign out of iCloud, the iTunes Store, App Store, FaceTime, Find My Friends, Find My iPhone, and iMessage on each device that uses your current Apple ID for these services.
  2. Go to My Apple ID.
  3. Select Manage your Apple ID and sign in. Forgot your password?
  4. Select Edit next to Apple ID and Primary Email Address.
  5. Enter the email address that you want to use as your Apple ID, then select Save Changes. Apple will send a verification email to that address.
  6. Open the email from Apple, then click Verify Now. Didn't receive the email?
  7. When the My Apple ID page opens, sign in with your new Apple ID email address and password. When you see a message that verification is complete, you can start using your updated Apple ID.
  8. Update the features and services that you use with Apple ID, so that each one is using your updated Apple ID.

If you need to change the Apple ID that's signed in to your iOS device, use these steps to sign out, then back in with a different Apple ID.

Last Modified:

Sign in with a different Apple ID on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203983

In this case Terri1234@aol.com would be a different Apple ID than Terri1234

Contact Apple for help with Apple ID account security - Apple Support
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT5699

I hope this information helps ....

- Judy

apple id transition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.