Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Year view not showing location summary

I have a problem with the new photos app on iPhone6 and Yosemite 10.10.3.

In the "year view" places where the photos were taken can usually be accessed in a map (e.g. "United States, Germany and 3 more >").

I have several years of photos and this does work for most of them, but for 2 years (2013 and 2014) there is no location or countries displayed I could tap on to open the map view so I can see what places I visited in those years.

When I zoom in to collections or moments however, every single photo does have location data.

The photos app seems to fail summarizing my places. The problem is the exact same on iPhone and on the new photos app in Yosemite (turning on or off iCloud photo library doesn't make a difference here).

Also tried the following: I deleted all photos from my iPhone and sync them again via iTunes. When I did this while having the photos app open in the year view, I could see that the years 2013 and 2014 at first have this link to the map but as more photos are synced both disappear.

Any ideas on this? Please help

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1.3, Photos App on Mac and iPhone

Posted on Feb 21, 2015 2:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2018 6:10 AM

I had the same issue and i went through every possible scenarios, but i ended with only one conclusion. There's a max number of countries that can appear and that number is 7. If there are more than 7 countries, then they won't show up.

This year i traveled alot, so i was puzzled when all of a sudden the countries i visited were not showing up anymore. So i dug into it, and when everything else failed, i started deleting photos from different countries. so while i was deleting, they suddenly showed up. "XXX, YYY, ZZZ and 4 more >". I said good, they're back. So i started recovering deleted photos.... and.... the countries disappeared again.

I deleted Other country (XXX) and now it was: "SSS, YYY, ZZZ and 4 more >". Then i recovered the photos from XXX country and they disappeared again.

So... no matter which country i deleted, as soon as there were max 7 countries, the countries were listed in the Years view.

As soon as there is an additional country (8 or more), the country list disappeared.

It doesn't matter the distance between them on map, i had countries from North America and Europe listed, and i could see them on map. When i deleted North America, i only had countries from Europe listed under the current year, but as soon as i added a photo from an 8th country (even if it's from Europe and it's "in close proximity" on map) the country list disappears.

So... my conclusion is that the magic number is 7. The max countries that can be listed.

28 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 23, 2018 6:10 AM in response to pod818

I had the same issue and i went through every possible scenarios, but i ended with only one conclusion. There's a max number of countries that can appear and that number is 7. If there are more than 7 countries, then they won't show up.

This year i traveled alot, so i was puzzled when all of a sudden the countries i visited were not showing up anymore. So i dug into it, and when everything else failed, i started deleting photos from different countries. so while i was deleting, they suddenly showed up. "XXX, YYY, ZZZ and 4 more >". I said good, they're back. So i started recovering deleted photos.... and.... the countries disappeared again.

I deleted Other country (XXX) and now it was: "SSS, YYY, ZZZ and 4 more >". Then i recovered the photos from XXX country and they disappeared again.

So... no matter which country i deleted, as soon as there were max 7 countries, the countries were listed in the Years view.

As soon as there is an additional country (8 or more), the country list disappeared.

It doesn't matter the distance between them on map, i had countries from North America and Europe listed, and i could see them on map. When i deleted North America, i only had countries from Europe listed under the current year, but as soon as i added a photo from an 8th country (even if it's from Europe and it's "in close proximity" on map) the country list disappears.

So... my conclusion is that the magic number is 7. The max countries that can be listed.

Feb 22, 2015 11:42 AM in response to sebbie2443

In the Collections or Years mode in the Photos app and click on the title or date range just above the thumbnails to get to the map with those photos. A map with all of your photos is not available at this time. Don't know if it will be. Send a feature requires to Apple via http://www.apple.com/feedback/icloud.html to tell them what features you'd like to see incorporated into the Photos app that is actively under development.

User uploaded file

Oct 3, 2015 11:39 AM in response to Old Toad

OT, I am having exactly the same problem. The Year view is missing the list of locations for most years, even if all photos are having GPS data.

This mainly happening for the years, where I have been traveling a lot. When the list of locations would be too long, Photos is simply omitting it altogether.

Some years are showing the locations, but most of them not.

User uploaded file

Oct 3, 2015 12:31 PM in response to Old Toad

I checked with a smart album, for example the year 2005, where the year view does not show the location:

User uploaded file

All photos are having GPS EXIF data. And all samples I tested are showing a location in the Info panel.

A smart album with the same date range is showing the pins on a map, but not all of them at the same time, because the map does not fit the Info panel. It should reach from London to New Zealand. Perhaps the locations are having a problem with long distance flights to the antipodes.

User uploaded file

Oct 12, 2015 6:35 AM in response to léonie

Great work Dimitriaderadu! This indeed appears to be the issue, as the problem year for me is 2009 when I traveled around Europe visiting many countries. Now that we understand the root issue, I suggest we all send specific feedback to Apple:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/photos.html

Also, although we can only view location pins for one year at a time on iOS, there is a workaround on OS X. If you click All Photos and then view Info, you can see a map of all your location pins. Not ideal, but better than nothing.

Oct 22, 2015 1:08 AM in response to axalexax

The problem is i have been taking pics of my food on a plane,

Long distance flights, road trips through several states, or having several vacations per year can all make the list of countries exceed the limit of seven. or keepig the photos taken by friend and family in the Photos Library.

Please send all feedback to Apple and request to remove this limit. Apple - Photos - Feedback

Year view not showing location summary

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.