Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Network settings on device not loading in Safari over Bonjour

My entire set up is Apple devices. But latest version of Mavericks and OS7. Not that that makes any dif with this problem

My Airplay and Bonjour work fine. iTunes and Airplay apps all see my powered speakers and my AV receiver and play music. My printer prints. My network is healthy (probably in part because I did not upgrade to Yosemite).

But, I just went to update the firmware on my powered Airplay speakers. This is done inside Safari where you access the settings page via .local. web site for the device. (Same thing with the printer.)

I chose the device from the Bonjour menu in Safari.

For some reason, Safari instantly says Safari can’t open the page “acme-radio-123.local.” because Safari can’t connect tot he server “acme-radio-123.local.”.

What? It just said I can’t start my car because… I can’t start my car.

Again, I can print, am listening right now on the powered speaker to internet radio.

What is happening? What do I have set wrong (nothing, apparently).

Note that, in past (sometime in 2014) I did access the “acme-radio-123.local.” settings page. But, it was all the same set up. Just Mavericks security and iTunes updates.

Airport Utility says my Airport Extreme is in super excellent shape. The connection is excellent with all devices. Not that that should matter. I am playing music right now via Linn Radio non stop for hours. Duh.

I’d like to access my speaker and printer settings pages. To check on toner, pages used, and update to latest firmware. The firmware update has to be done via Safari. Something to do with Airplay.

What do I have set wrong? There is, basically, nothing to set for Bonjour and Airplay. Making this doubly crappy.
Apple store and Apple support have been of no use. They barely understand the issue.

iMac (27-inch Late 2009), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Feb 21, 2015 2:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2015 12:41 PM

Well, I never could get the Bonjour menu to access device settings in Safari.
So I looked to see if Bonjour could work in Chrome or Firefox. It can!

But you need a plugin. I used Ciaociao in Firefox (I think also for Chrome). It places a small globe icon with other things you added like Pinterest, etc. in the tab bar.
It worked like a charm. I selected the devices from a Bonjour menu Ciaociao presents, accessed the settings, downloaded firmware updates, changed names, etc.

Clearly, there seems to be a Bonjour Safari issue. At least with Mavericks.
It was disappointing that hours with multiple Apple techs did not solve this. A lot of time on hold too. Nobody really knew about Bonjour or Airplay at all. Everyone wanted to pass me off to some other “device” when, it was not a device issue but the broader “internet of things” issue.

Apple is clearly unprepared for customer service in this high growth area.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 22, 2015 12:41 PM in response to Ataraxy01

Well, I never could get the Bonjour menu to access device settings in Safari.
So I looked to see if Bonjour could work in Chrome or Firefox. It can!

But you need a plugin. I used Ciaociao in Firefox (I think also for Chrome). It places a small globe icon with other things you added like Pinterest, etc. in the tab bar.
It worked like a charm. I selected the devices from a Bonjour menu Ciaociao presents, accessed the settings, downloaded firmware updates, changed names, etc.

Clearly, there seems to be a Bonjour Safari issue. At least with Mavericks.
It was disappointing that hours with multiple Apple techs did not solve this. A lot of time on hold too. Nobody really knew about Bonjour or Airplay at all. Everyone wanted to pass me off to some other “device” when, it was not a device issue but the broader “internet of things” issue.

Apple is clearly unprepared for customer service in this high growth area.

Network settings on device not loading in Safari over Bonjour

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.