Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems after changing Apple ID primary mail address

I just bought a brand new iPhone 6 Plus from Telecom. Few months ago, when I left my former company I was using a 4S, which I left with them. Before I left, I changed the primary email address of my Apple ID to a personal one, used the old phone with this Apple ID until I left it with my old company. Now I got the mentioned new iPhone, and did the activation and could rebuilt from the backup properly from the the iTunes back-up of the old 4S. Works well. However, I can use the Apple ID with iTunes, but I could not connect to the iCloud as it shows the old primary email address in the iCloud Settings and did not accept the password which was not changed at all. Since the password is not accepted I could not sign out and even could not delete the new iPhone as I can not switch off the iPhone tracking service anymore...

Any suggestions?

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Feb 21, 2015 3:24 PM

2 replies

Feb 21, 2015 3:31 PM in response to 1koscsof1

More info:

I checked the activation lock using the serial number, imeii number and Apple's support page to check the activation status and it shows the new iPhone is not locked. However in the Settings it shows the iPhone tracking is active and because of the not accepted (never changed password) I can not switch this service off to delete iPhone content and reinstall it now without the back up of the old 4S properly.

Feb 21, 2015 11:29 PM in response to 1koscsof1

Problem solved.

This solved it:

"Make sure you are signed into iMessage and FaceTime with your current ID. If they are signed into the old ID, go to Settings>Messages>Send & Receive and Settings>FaceTime, tap the ID, sign out, then sign back in with your current ID.

Then temporarily recreate the old ID by going to https://appleid.apple.com, click Manage my Apple ID and sign in with your currentiCloud ID. Click edit next to the primary email account, change it back to your old email address and save the change. (You should not have to verify the old email account so it doesn’t matter if you no longer have access to it.) Now go to Settings>iCloud, turn off Find My iDevice and enter your current password when prompted (even though it prompts you for the password for your old ID). Then go to Settings>iCloud, tap Sign Out (or Delete Account if you are not running iOS 8) and choose Delete from My iDevice when prompted (your iCloud data will still be in iCloud). Next, go back to https://appleid.apple.com and change your primary email address back to the way it was. Now you can go to Settings>iCloud and sign back in with your current iCloud ID and password (your data will download back to your device)."

It is kind of funny, how you need Facetime to refresh the Apple ID. Apple should make it a bit more logical somwehow.

Problems after changing Apple ID primary mail address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.