Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Garageband no legacy instruments

Hey there,

I formated my Mac Pro and installed Maverick. After I downloaded Garageband 10.0.3 I realized that there are no legacy presets in my instrument list anymore. I really need those because the "Comedy Noise"-Instrument allows me to put my cutted sounds as samples on the keys, so I can play them with my Midi-Keyboard. Is there anyone who knows where I can get these instruments additionally. Or does someone know if there is another instrument who makes it possible to use it as a sampler like the?

I would be thankful for any help.

Best regards.

Jam

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Feb 21, 2015 3:56 PM

5 replies

Feb 21, 2015 8:09 PM in response to Kissmyairs

I really need those because the "Comedy Noise"-Instrument allows me to put my cutted sounds as samples on the keys, so I can play them with my Midi-Keyboard. Is there anyone who knows where I can get these instruments additionally.

You mean the Sound Effects Instruments, that let you drag samples to the Musical Typing keyboard? You can use them in GarageBand 10, if you reinstall GarageBand '11. How did you originally install GarageBand '11 on your Mac? If you still have a SnowLeopard installer or an iLife '11 DVD, use that. If you bought GarageBAnd '11 from the AppStore, reinstall from there.

Else, See Niel's answer in this discussion: How can I download Garageband (for free) after my hard drive crashed?

But the sound effect Instruments do not work well in GarageBand 10. You can play them, but not save them. So you will have to finish all projects in one go, because the next time you restart GarageBand the samples will have been lost. If you need to use the sound effects instruments, work with GarageBAnd '11 and not the new GarageBand 10.0.

Feb 22, 2015 8:27 AM in response to léonie

Hey Léonie,

thanks for your answer but it didn´t solve my problem. I didn´t buy Garageband´11. As I bought my Mac it was automatically installed. I have no DVD nor ILife. Now I can only Download Garageband 10.0.3. I mean it´s totally fine and I love to work with it but I really need the "Sampler" function. Otherwise the whole programm doesnt make sense to me. And I also need the Legacy presets because the most of my Songs are made by these instruments.

Do you have another advice for me or am I trapped? 😕

Feb 23, 2015 7:27 PM in response to Kissmyairs

thanks for your answer but it didn´t solve my problem. I didn´t buy Garageband´11. As I bought my Mac it was automatically installed. I have no DVD nor ILife.

If GarageBand '11 was automaticaly installed it will depend on the MAcOS X version it came with:

• If your Mac came with MacOS X 10.7 or later, you should be able to download GarageBand '11 again from your Purchases page at the AppStore.
  • If your Mac came with MacOS X 10.6 or earlier, GarageBand '11 will be on the System Install DVD 2 (Bundled applications) that came with your Mac.

In all other situations, if you can no longer find the original install DVDs, you can only try to restore the previous system with GarageBand '11 from the last backup you made before you wiped the drive, or to buy GarageBand '11 again with an iLife installer from Amazon or eBay,

Feb 24, 2015 9:06 AM in response to léonie

I had the 10.7 or later version. I can´t download the older version in the appstore. It´s only possible to download the updated version. If there is a possibility to download the older version of Garageband straight from the appstore, could you describe me how it works? I don´t know how I am supposed to get the older version displayed on the appstore..

Thanks in advance

Garageband no legacy instruments

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.