Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sound from Thunderbolt Display crackles intermittently

Hello,

Ever since I bought my Thunderbolt display a month ago I've noticed an issue that I thought was a one-time thing. However it happened again today and I believe I know what's causing the issue.

The issue is that every now and then the audio from the TBD will start to crackle and become indistinguishable.

My office is setup with a MBP Retina (mid 2013) running Yosemite and the TBD.

The issue seemingly presents itself when the MBP lags. I often have a few graphics / programming apps open, as well as streaming my music, Facebook, etc. If I quickly switch from Photoshop to MS Word, for instance, if there's a slight lag while switching, the sound issue on the TBD occurs. Same can be said if I switch tabs quickly in Firefox (rarely, but it's happened). It seems any amount of slightly noticeable lag with make the sound start to crackle.

The remedy for this at the moment is simply unplugging the TBD from the Display Port and plugging it back in. The MBP has two TB ports, and the issue happens when using either of them.

Anyone else ever experience this?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), Thunderbolt Display 27-inch

Posted on Feb 21, 2015 5:31 PM

27 replies

Mar 29, 2015 4:02 PM in response to MatCartmill

This problem is getting really annoying. It's been happening really frequently lately as I've been doing a lot more work at home. If I Photoshop, Coda, Xcode, Firefox, and iTunes open I can almost guarantee it will happen within 10-15 minutes. Then every 10-15 minutes after I unplug the display and plug it back in.

This issue NEEDS to get resolved or I simply won't buy another Apple Display. They're extremely convenient but if I can't do basic tasks without it going all choppy, it's not really a device I want to put my trust in to run my workstation.

Apr 10, 2015 5:05 PM in response to MatCartmill

I've got the same issue. For me it appears typically after 5-10 minutes of continuous sound using the Thunderbolt display speakers, the sound becomes distorted, with crackling and distortion. I've found that if I momentarily change the audio output to my internal MBP (13" late 2014) and then back to the Thunderbolt speakers, the problem goes away for another 5-10 minutes. Sometimes I get as much as 20 minutes. This also seems to true for *any* external audio. Using a USB Jabra speakerphone yields the same result: after 5-10 minutes the sound becomes distorted. This is also true regardless of the source: skype, itunes, gotomeeting, vidyo... I first thought that it was network related, until iTunes did it as well on locally stored videos.

This did NOT happen on my previous setup, which was a 13" MBA (2012? I don't have it any more...) connected to either USB speakers or the Thunderbolt display. The MBA was running Mavericks, so two things have changed: MBA->MBP and Mavericks->Yosemite. Which was the killer? Don't know.

Apr 23, 2015 1:34 PM in response to MatCartmill

Both my colleague and me, who are running 13" MPBs with retina attached to 27" TB displays, have experienced this recently with video conferencing. Once with Skype and once with GoToMeeting. After about 15 minutes, the audio suddenly becomes terrible - all crackling and distorted. The only way to solve it is to unplug the MPBs from the TB and carry on. Frustrating.

May 8, 2015 2:21 PM in response to MatCartmill

I've just this week started having this problem, the sound becomes garbled and distorted after a bit. If you stop all audio for a while and turn it back on it goes away, but quickly becomes garbled again.

I think this might be an issue with the display, but I think it might also be occuring because my macbook is overheating.

It happened just now with my Macbook Air when I had a process take over the CPU and it started running very hot. As a test I quickly plugged in my Macbook Pro and the static wasn't there. Of course, since it goes away if you stop the audio for a bit, it's hard to tell if it's a legit test. But so far I'm not ruling out that it may be an issue when a Macbook XYZed starts running really hot.

Jul 19, 2015 4:16 PM in response to MatCartmill

Wanted to sound in on this.

This is exactly my issue, although I'm running an older LED Cinema Display on my MBP. This isn't just happening with the Thunderbolt displays, as it's occurring with mine as well. And also right after the Yosemite update--prior to this no issues. This display has two connections, the USB one and the mini DP one (three if you count the power cord--tho that isn't important to this issue).

Same crackling sound when it does occur. The volume control will also be delayed by a second or two and the "pong" sound is distorted, delayed, or mute. If I'm using Mumble, two things will usually happen tho: 1) either the voices coming through will get crackly, but apparently I sound fine to listeners, or 2) people will hear me all crackly or robotic, tho I'll still have sound. (I've though it could be a Mumble server issue, but I've been using the program for years with no issue, and this has also occurred right after the Yosemite update.

Generally the issue will occur when I'm running a lot of media/sound-heavy programs. Having Safari (running sound and video), World of Warcraft, and Mumble open will usually trigger an issue in an hour. Unfortunately, sometimes it will not happen at all for days, and other times it will occur back to back within minutes. It has also happened just running Safari and other sound and media programs. For me, Safari seems to be one of the big culprits that eventually overwhelms the sound system resources.

When the issue occurs, I have been able to solve the issue in 3 different ways:

1) Quit all running programs that have sound, especially Safari. Most times, just quitting Safari will clear up the sound a bit, but it seems I have to quit all programs to completely "reset" the sound.

2) Using SystemPrefs>Sound (or option-click on the menubar volume control) to change the output sound to go to the MBP, then setting it back to the display.

3) Unplug and re-plug the USB connector running from my display to the MBP. This forces the output sound to the MBP speakers, so doing the same as in 2. Unfortunately, sometimes the MBP won't switch the sound back to the display when it's plugged in again (which I then have to manually set).

Reading other posts on the forums, seems that this has been occuring since 2011 in some form or another, so it isn't just the Thunderbolt Display.

Sound from Thunderbolt Display crackles intermittently

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.