Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I download Garageband (for free) after my hard drive crashed?

About a month ago my hard drive needed to be replaced, but I hadn't backed anything up onto an external hard drive. Yeah. Needless to say, it's been rough as I'm putting everything back together. I went to the Geek Squad at Best Buy to have the new hard drive installed. Most of my programs came back when they installed the OS, but iPhoto, iMovie, and GarageBand were three that didn't make it. iPhoto and iMovie are back, but GarageBand is not. How can I get it back on my computer for free? When I bought my computer new, it came with GarageBand, so shouldn't I get it back for free? Please help!!! I'm a music teacher and I have to record music for my students. Thanks!

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Feb 21, 2015 3:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2015 4:02 PM

If you associated it with an Apple ID, log into the Mac App Store with that Apple ID, click on the Purchases tab, and download it from there.

If your computer shipped with Mac OS X 10.7 or newer and you didn't do that or don't have access to that Apple ID, click here and contact Apple.

If your computer shipped with Mac OS X 10.6.8 or earlier, install it from a DVD.

(122871)

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 21, 2015 4:02 PM in response to erica_airshine_music_school

If you associated it with an Apple ID, log into the Mac App Store with that Apple ID, click on the Purchases tab, and download it from there.

If your computer shipped with Mac OS X 10.7 or newer and you didn't do that or don't have access to that Apple ID, click here and contact Apple.

If your computer shipped with Mac OS X 10.6.8 or earlier, install it from a DVD.

(122871)

How can I download Garageband (for free) after my hard drive crashed?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.