Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Multiclip video angle change also changes audio.

I have a multiclip (three cameras, all sync'd OK), will use audio form only one. In the angle viewer, I first selected the audio from that camera, then switch to change the video angle only. But with I switch, the volume changes (like it's using the audio from that camera instead) and I get a glitch. Anyone experienced that or have a fix?

it's supposed to keep using the audio angle selected initially when I've clicked the little "film" icon in the angle viewer.

It makes editing with a multi clip useless.

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion, MacPro 2012 Hex 3.3, 32GB, 2x2TB

Posted on Feb 21, 2015 6:49 PM

12 replies

Feb 21, 2015 7:08 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Yup, I do. And the display indicates that it's just changed the video; the audio angle stays "selected" in the angle viewer (either yellow when audio and video are from the same camera, and green with only it's audio is selected, with the video angle selected showing a blue boundary) as I change video angles.

I wanted to rough cut the whole thing this way, then fine tune the audio later if I needed to use the audio from one of the other cameras as needed.

I used to do this in FCS 2 (FCP 7) by just stacking the video and audio tracks on the time line, separating the two, then using opacity ramps in the video (or just razor cuts...) and the volume ramps in the audio to mix the audio tracks. That doesn't work with Multiclip (only one audio at a time).

Feb 21, 2015 7:27 PM in response to Edward A. Oates

Is there some sort of automatic or default audio cross fade preference that I don't see? I'm new to FCP X since I've just kept using FCS 2 and liked it better. But it's time to move on.

And I notice that even if I just click on the angle viewer on the SAME camera angle that's already in use (the same one that I've selected for the audio angle), I still get a glitch and a volume change. Seems like some sort of cross fade going one where the audio is being playing additively for a while.

Feb 22, 2015 3:39 AM in response to Edward A. Oates

That will do it. LLoudness is an enhancement. Though when you make a cut using video only the audio remains contiguous, but it's still cut as a through edit. Because audio effects and enhancements treat each clip as separate they look at each cut piece as separate and apply the correction to that. This makes the sound quality vary which each edit. Generally most users who want to work with audio as a continuous piece, edit the multiple cam clip into the project with the audio angle they want to use and then detach the audio so it's a continuous stream that's uncut. All the audio channels are available in the audio stream and can be brought up by expanding the audio.

Feb 22, 2015 12:04 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

I guess that was it. Each of the clips in the multi clip had their audio analyzed and loudness, hum, and background noise were checked. When unchecked, the issue goes away.

So the question now becomes: in a multi clip where ONE audio track will be used most of the time, but not exclusively, how do you apply audio analysis fixes for problems detected by that analysis? If I have to extract the audio tracks, and edit the audio cuts independent of the video, that's kind of useless, isn't it?

I've searched all over the user guide, and this issue is not mentioned even once. I sort of expected that when I didn't change audio tracks, that it would just be continuous. Silly me.

Feb 22, 2015 12:10 PM in response to Edward A. Oates

The video is of a live Shakespeare play (2.5 hours) with three cameras in a live performance not done specifically for video, but for the audience. From time to time, the action, and it's accompanying audio shift to the rear or sides. One of the cameras tracks that action movement, and I want to use it's audio, since the mic was then pointed in the right direction. The cams are Sony HXRNX30U with the included XLR on camera mic (not the build in stereo mic's). Shot in 1080P60.

Feb 22, 2015 1:23 PM in response to Edward A. Oates

If you apply and enhancement to a single two hour stream of audio you're going to get an averaging out of the sound, which may work for you. Select the audio stream, open the enhancements and activate what you need. With the audio track in the timeline, select it, and use the expand audio components function. You can activate all the channels in channel configurations of the audio inspector and in the timeline fade them in and out as needed.

Feb 22, 2015 1:58 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Thanks, Tom. This has been really helpful. Turns out you have be careful about when you turn the audio enhancements on. What I did was to put the multi-clip in the timeline, separate the audio components, turn OFF the audio tracks I'm not going to use most of the time in the audio configuration (before doing any cutting), select the audio track and THEN enable the loudness/noise/hum removal enhancements, then have at it. Select the audio angle, then do the video angles as I see fit. When I decide to use another audio track for a specific angle section, then switch to that one.

Thanks.

Multiclip video angle change also changes audio.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.