Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ok to put old HD into 'new' computer?

Just got a MacbookPro early 2011 Intel Core i5 with Yosemite and only 320 GB HD. My old MacbookPro early 2006 Intel Core Duo (grafic card died) has a 500 GB HD with OS Snowleopard and a ton of software which I don"t won"t to upgrade right now (eg. FC 6, working on big project). From what I understand the 'new' Mac can run OS Snowleopard. I'm planing on putting the old HD into the new Mac...... is there any reason I shouldn't or be cautious about this.

Thanks so much....

MacBook Pro, null

Posted on Feb 21, 2015 11:30 PM

5 replies

Feb 22, 2015 5:11 AM in response to vimlan

While Early 2011 shipped with 10.6.7+ some features did not work well without Lion (10.7.5)

Mac OS X versions (builds) for computers - Apple Support

Why not put your old system drive in USB3 or Thunderbolt case and run Snow Leopard from there.

If that works, then you can make changes.

If I were you, I would upgrade the internal drive though to a new SSD instead of using your old drive

Forum you want:

MacBook Pro

Feb 22, 2015 5:29 AM in response to vimlan

nothing wrong with doing that, when the disk is OK.

But you have to (re)install the software OSX that you want to use, to match the "new' Mac. You can do that fast with a Clone App, like CarbonCopyCloner: on the existing disk in the 'new' Mac in stall CCC and then connect the 'old' disk with a sata-USB cable to the new Mac: make a clone. Shutdown the 'new' mac and startup while holding the Alt(option) key and start from the external disk. When that works OK, shutdown, open the mac, and switch the disks. Ready (everything on it), time maybe an hour or so.

Lex

Feb 22, 2015 5:45 AM in response to vimlan

The early 2011 model originally came with Snow Leopard and your older drive should work fine in the 2011 IF it is updated to 10.6.8. All your Apps should work without problem, no need to reinstall any of them.

The best thing to do once the 500GB drive is installed, and if it boots up fine, is to re-apply the 10.6.8 update that can be downloaded from the Apple download site and put on a USB stick. Then run from that USB stick at first boot of the 2011 model. That will insure all the proper drivers are installed for the updated hardware in the 2011 model.

Not sure what the other poster is talking about. All features, functions, hardware included in the 2011 model will work just fine with Snow Leopard 10.6.8. No need to upgrade to Lion and I wouldn't if you are still using older apps that need Rosetta. No Rosetta in Lion and so you couldn't use those older apps.

ok to put old HD into 'new' computer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.