Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Import chrome passwords into safari ?

Hi!

I have been using Google Chrome in OSX for a while. When I started Safari for the first time several months ago I was asked to import all my Chrome data (Bookmarks, Passwords....). Now I would like to switch completely to Safari.

Is there a way to import all data incl. saved passwords again?

Marek

Safari-OTHER, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), Import from Chrome

Posted on Feb 22, 2015 1:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2017 8:07 AM

In Google Chrome, open a new tab and paste the following:

chrome://flags/#password-import-export

Find the "Password import and export" option and switch it from Default to Enabled

As soon as you do this you will see "Relaunch Now" at the bottom of your browser, click it. (see screen shot below)

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Now in Chrome, go to Preferences, Show Advanced Settings, and under "Passwords and Forms" click on "Manage Passwords"

User uploaded file

If you are signed into Chrome with your correct account, here is where you see all of your saved passwords. The steps before this enables the "Import" and "Export" boxes into this window.

User uploaded file

You can export it as a .csv ... still havent figured out how to import it into keychain or safari, but at least you can import them to safari by copy/paste!

Hope this helps!

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 2, 2017 8:07 AM in response to Gospo

In Google Chrome, open a new tab and paste the following:

chrome://flags/#password-import-export

Find the "Password import and export" option and switch it from Default to Enabled

As soon as you do this you will see "Relaunch Now" at the bottom of your browser, click it. (see screen shot below)

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Now in Chrome, go to Preferences, Show Advanced Settings, and under "Passwords and Forms" click on "Manage Passwords"

User uploaded file

If you are signed into Chrome with your correct account, here is where you see all of your saved passwords. The steps before this enables the "Import" and "Export" boxes into this window.

User uploaded file

You can export it as a .csv ... still havent figured out how to import it into keychain or safari, but at least you can import them to safari by copy/paste!

Hope this helps!

Jun 17, 2017 3:51 PM in response to luuklp

okay i did this and i clicked all the okays but the passwords still not on my safari, but thats fine i already manually put all my passwords into the safari. BUT now I'm worried of what did i actually do with all those usernames and passwords from when i typed in that command? Are they in a vulnerable place? or what

Jan 1, 2018 8:47 AM in response to Community User

A bit old question but Gospo answer is quite relevant for January 2018.

Below my steps (no detailed)

In windows install Firefox, my version 43.0.1

get pass from Chrome

sync pass with Firefox (create an account)

In Mac

install firefox (57.0.3)

sync pass (use Firefox account)

open safari

sync pass from Firefox

I can confirm that the whole process cannot be done in Mac, it requires Firefox on windows (at least with above versions)

Feb 22, 2015 1:13 AM in response to Gospo

1. Open up chrome.
  2. Find the web browser's Export Bookmarks option, and then choose it. The Export Bookmarks option is normally in the File menu.
  3. Save the bookmarks as an HTML file; for example, "bookmarks.html."
  4. Open Safari and choose File > Import Bookmarks.
  5. Select the HTML file you created, and then click Import (on Windows computers click Open).

//Special thanks to B Noir

Feb 22, 2015 1:22 AM in response to Gospo

Oh, I'm sorry for that, here's a good tutorial:

All recent versions of Google Chrome/Chromium for OSX store the passwords in the system keychain, therefore you will need to deal with the OSX built-in credential storage mechanism and not with Chrome.

You can export the passwords by running this in the terminal:

sudo security dump-keychain -d login.keychain > keychain.txt

And yes, you'll need to click Allow All as many times as you have domains in your login keychain, unless you use an autoclicker script. The link also points to a ruby script for converting to CSV.

Alternatively you can use the use the native OSX app Keychain Access (type the name in Spotlight).

//Special thanks to superuser.com

Oct 7, 2016 3:55 AM in response to Gospo

luuklp is right, but he miss something, this working only on passwords that are stored in chrome and OSX Keychan, it doesn't work for passwords stored in Google.

Also AFAIK there is no working way to do this, so I have research a workaround that worked for me, it's not fully automatic but just work 😉

You could read my article here http://e01.scifi.bg/2016/10/how-to-transfer-passwords-from-googles-chrome-to-moz illa-firefox-andor-safari/

How to Import chrome passwords into safari ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.