Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Running out of RAM

Hi, hope someone can help me. I have a 2012 Mac Mini, unfortunately just the 2GB model but in the last few months I've been having serious performance issues which manifests as slow internet connectivity/streaming, intermittent pausing of music playing in iTunes etc.

All I'm running is Chrome, iTunes and my Sonos controller. Yet I'm constantly running out of RAM with really high Swap used statistics.

It seems to be Chrome that uses all of my resources as when I close tabs I get some memory back.

Screenshots attached/below. Is my mac simply so under-powered at 2GB that I can't run just these 3 applications before running into trouble? Or is there something seriously wrong with it? I have re-booted and the problem goes away for a couple of days but the comes back.

Thanks,

Jason

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Feb 22, 2015 3:32 AM

4 replies

Feb 22, 2015 9:53 AM in response to SimpsonJ

Chrome is a know resource hog. If you have lots of RAM, it is fine, however, on your constrained system it is pushing the limits.

In theory you should be able put up to 16GB in your 2012 Mac mini. Crucial.com and MacSales.com (OWC) are highly respected and frequently recommended in these forums.

You will also want a lot more RAM if you intend to upgrade to newer versions of Mac OS X in the future.

Or just switch to Safari or maybe try Firefox (which can consume resources as well, but not as bad as Chrome).

Running out of RAM

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.