Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to invert colors, but not images?

Hi there,

I am a visual impaired person, and i found great to use accessibility option "invert colors" in OS X, but it is terrible to see my images inverted. How can I make an exception. Can someone try to write a little apple script for that.

Let me explaine: I want to use invert colors/high contrast, but I would like it not to invert images.

Thanks!

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Feb 22, 2015 1:01 AM

16 replies

Feb 22, 2015 1:20 AM in response to luuklp

You didn't get it. I don't want to edit photos or something like that, I just want to use my computer in high contrast, but i want images not to be inverted. Also videos are inverted. I need apple script to make that exception. That option i solved in other operating system, but I really need it on OS X. I am a visual impaired person, I mean it is much easier for my eyes to use my Mac in high contrast mode, but I still want to see my pictures correctly.

Feb 23, 2015 12:51 PM in response to halidovski

The Accessibility panel is not scriptable with AppleScript, and that Display Invert colors is applied to every viewable object in the display. It cannot be made to show images in normal color, and everything else in negative.

What you need, is an image application that offers an invert color filter to reverse the initial negative image in that application.

• Gimp (free) provides a color ▸ invert menu item that produces a normal image with Accessibility Invert colors enabled.
  • Affinity Designer (OS X App Store) has Layer ▸ New Adjustment ▸ Invert
  • Affinity Photo (beta) has Layer ▸ New Adjustment Layer ▸ Invert Adjustment
  • Pixelmator (OS X App Store, free trial, requires OS X 10.10) - not tested since I am writing this on Mavericks
  • Other image applications that support image invert

Apr 16, 2015 8:58 AM in response to VikingOSX

I know exactly what you are asking for, I want the same thing. I am not vision impaired but i do like the inverted interfaces and software since white with black text is harder on the eyes (i like dark screen light text like the matrix 🙂)

Unfortunately it cannot be achieved with apple's built in inversion. Also, these guys above are suggesting manually editing the images in an image software, meaning they completely missed the point (if i want to look at web images fast on a site, why would i download and edit them all manually, thats a huge waste of time.)

your only option is to leave your inversion settings normal, and explore options with "skinning" your UI. Skinning allows you to download a small program that modifies your operating system to display modified colors, styles, etc. Some of them suck, some of them are really nice. Also, I've never done it on an apple, just a PC. But if you find a good combination of software, you could potentially make all your Finder windows, and OS screens a customized color/style. This can also be done in some browsers via browser plugins/addons. The only limit will be websites. Unless you create or find a browser addon/mod that allows you to "flip" all the colors in any site to the exact RGB inverse (black to white and all colors too) there is no way to view websites in inverse. Apples built in inverse can do this because it modifies the colors directly on the screen (flipping them all automatically, above everything else, on a hardware level, if im not mistaken).

here are some other links i found super fast on google;

http://skinpacks.com/download/windows-7/mac-os-x-skin-pack/

http://techcrunch.com/2014/07/07/mac-os-x-gets-the-dark-theme-weve-all-been-wait ing-for-in-yosemite-preview-3/

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-customize-the-look-and-functionality-of-os-x-161368 0553

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/top-7-ways-personalize-mac-os-x-desktop/

How to invert colors, but not images?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.