Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV (2) name, AirPlay dropouts and more.

I have 2 Apple TV 3's, each with a unique name. One located in the lounge, the other in a bedroom. Subsequently each named "Lounge" and "Bedroom".

I have run the same network and devices for almost 2 years, except for the addition of the iPad Air 2 and the iPhone 6. Apple TVs were on OS 6.x until the release of OS 7.x. During the period of OS 6.x i never ever had an issue with AirPlay from any Mac or iOS device. Which include MacBooks, Mac Minis, iPods, iPhones, iPads.

One Apple TV is connected via ethernet, the other is via WiFi (1 wall away which shows full signal when checked each time).

So i decided to update to OS 7.x when it came out and then i have been plagued with problems ever since, through each update 7.0, 7.0.1, 7.0.2 and 7.0.3.

There is three main problems with these 2 devices as a result of 7.x.

1 - Each Apple TV changes its name at random in regards to the number, one might be "Lounge" for a moment, the next it will be "Lounge (2)" or "Lounge (3)" and so on, usually reverting to "Lounge (2)", either during use or sleep mode.

2 - 90% of the time they will not wake from sleep for the AirPlay function from iPhone 6 on iOS 8.1.3, iPad Air 2 on iOS 8.1.3 or Mac Mini on Yosemite 10.10.2

3 - When it finally does wake, there are constant AirPlay drop outs, most of the time the AirPlay link will drop and some times disappear off the AirPlay devices list right afterwards.

Both Apple TVs produce the same issues, time and time again, i have restored them completely twice each, i have had one replaced for these issues under warranty, yet these issues still remain.

I have tried them on 4 different networks, i have even replaced my modem/router as part of this problem, and still these issues remain.

I even set up via a test with a personal hotspot from one of my iPads, so all i had was an Apple tv, iPad and iPhone on this wifi hotspot, the same issues were present there also.

During this time i have had iPad, iPhone and Mac complete restores for other issues which rules out issues with them i would like to think.

I have even tried AirPlay stability from my older iPhones, iPads and iPhones on iOS 6 and 7 - the same issues are present there also.

I have had many many cases with Apple Care opened, each case gets me no closer to solving generally because the "Senior Advisor" appointed to the case never responds to me after getting off the phone, despite them emailing me with their contact details to "follow up the case" so i don't feel any more efforts there will get me any closer at this point.

I have exhausted many options with no success.

Does anyone else have these same issues?

Has anyone ever found a fix?

Has anyone got any other methods of diagnosing the root cause of this?

I would love any info on this, I'm at my wits end with AirPlay.

Apple TV, Other OS, OS 7.0

Posted on Feb 22, 2015 12:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2017 6:54 AM

Apple TV doesn't exactly broadcast itself. It responds to queries over Bluetooth when you open the AirPlay menu on an iOS device or computer. Peer-to-peer AirPlay uses this mechanism for discovery, then creates a point-to-point WiFi connection for data transfer, independent of any network. It sounds like you would prefer to disable this on your Apple TV. You could suggest this to Apple here https://www.apple.com/feedback/appletv.html.

24 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 25, 2017 6:54 AM in response to samaki

Apple TV doesn't exactly broadcast itself. It responds to queries over Bluetooth when you open the AirPlay menu on an iOS device or computer. Peer-to-peer AirPlay uses this mechanism for discovery, then creates a point-to-point WiFi connection for data transfer, independent of any network. It sounds like you would prefer to disable this on your Apple TV. You could suggest this to Apple here https://www.apple.com/feedback/appletv.html.

Jan 25, 2017 1:17 AM in response to samaki

Hello,

Thus, the issue has now been identified. And as the saying goes, it's not a bug, it's a feature. Apparently, since tvOS 10 activated a bluetooth signal that broadcasts any Apple TV to any iOS or macOS device as a potential output for sound. Thus, my neighbour's Apple TV showed up as Apple TV (2) in my Airplay menus. It also explains why it always takes a second or two for this second Apple TV to show up and why when selected it tells me that it is "unable to connect to "Apple TV (2) because the wireless signal is too weak." (I suppose since the actual airplay signal would be carried by WiFi not Bluetooth and since my neighbour's Apple TV is hooked on a different WiFi network, this cannot work). I have asked Apple whether this can be deactivated but apparently it cannot. Imagine a situation in a busy environment where there are multiple Apple TVs... how does one figure out which one is the right one? It's also not nice to have my own Airplay menu 'contaminated' by my neighbours' devices - I actually do not really want to know that they also have an Apple TV, it's their private business, likewise for me. So Apple please at least give us an option to opt out of the automatic bluetooth based broadcasting of Apple TVs. Merci.

Jan 25, 2017 5:17 AM in response to samaki

I have a couple of suggestions that could help. First, you could change the name of your Apple TV to something distinctive, Settings > AirPlay > Apple TV Name > Custom Name. This will ensure that you and your neighbor can tell the devoces apart. Second, if you're not using any Bluetooth devices on your iOS device, you could turn off Bluetooth, so you won't see your neighbor's Apple TV.

Jan 25, 2017 6:38 AM in response to Diana.McCall

Thanks Diana.

We have already changed the name (this is how we tested this in the first place). Bluetooth cannot be turned off on the ATV4 and turning it off on all Macs, iPads and iPhones where Airplay menu is used is not quite workable (no handoff features, no Apple Watch, no bluetooth speaker, no bluetooth keyboard, no bluetooth mouse etc etc). Also, I do not understand how that would prevent my ATV4 from broadcasting itself and thus revealing its presence (which I find intrusive). Also thinking about it, I'm no longer so sure whether the ATV4 broadcasts its presence via bluetooth or wifi. Would you know?

Mar 2, 2015 10:52 AM in response to Thomas-M

Having a similar issue here. I have one Apple TV, but on both my iP6+ and my Mac it shows up as "Apple TV (2)" and "Living Room Apple TV". This was even after I changed the name to "Black Box" and turned off AirPlay from the ATV itself. I've just restored it and going to set it up again to see if the issue gets fixed like that. I'm guessing the latest update on the ATV messed some settings up in the OS itself.

Mar 11, 2015 5:45 PM in response to Thomas-M

An update for anyone who follows this.

I purchased a used Apple TV 3 running Apple TV Software 5.0, it works flawlessly, no drop outs, wakes on lan, no duplicate bonjour name issue, all problems are gone using the same network i always have.

Airplay works perfect from my iPhone 6, iPad Air 2 and my Mac Mini all on their respective latest updates.

Mar 31, 2015 2:30 AM in response to Thomas-M

Hello, I'm having the same issues using Beamer (one of the best apps ever created) and my Apple TV.

I’m using the latest versions of Beamer, Apple TV and OS X. It’s some weeks that when I drag a movie into Beamer it doesn’t connect automatically to my Apple TV as before: instead, I have to click the Share button and select the Apple TV, then everything goes fine as usual. I haven’t changed any settings, so it should “Connect and Pause” automatically as before.

I’ve also noticed that my Apple TV’s name displayed in Beamer when I click the Share button has changed from the original one (“Miller Apple TV”) to “Miller Apple TV (2)”. I don’t know why there’s this (2) in the displayed name. It’s like Beamer sees 2 Apple TVs named the same way and so it has to add (2) to the other one. But there’s only this Apple TV and the name of the Apple TV itself is always “Miller Apple TV”.

These 2 things (auto-connect not working any more and (2) added to Apple TV’s name) have happened together. It’s like Beamer doesn’t connect automatically anymore to “Miller Apple TV” because there’s another Apple TV named the same way and so it doesn’t know where to connect. I'm in touch with Beamer support but after looking your post I'm now thinking that the problem is more related to the Apple TV than to Beamer.

Apr 1, 2015 12:55 AM in response to Ciarals

Your problem is defiantly due to the Apple TV, i wouldn't be looking in to beamer (i used this regularly before i migrated my movies to m4v for iTunes home sharing which works excellent). My Apple TV names change from (2) up to (6) or (7) at their own will which really creates an issue since your device is looking for the Apple TV Bonjour name that no longer exists, like in your case it goes looking for "Miller Apple TV" when really its changed to "Miller Apple TV (2)".

Please chase up Apple Care with this, for the cause 🙂

Apr 1, 2015 7:17 AM in response to Thomas-M

Hello and thank you for the reply. I think that the problem is related to both Apple and Beamer. Apple TV is certainly messing up the name, but Beamer IS recognizing correctly the updated name. Unfortunately he's keeping in memory also the old name and this causes its autoplay function to not work properly. My thoughts, of course... Let's see what Beamer support will tell me 🙂

Apr 1, 2015 7:49 AM in response to Thomas-M

I have the same issue with my Apple TV seemingly producing a duplicate or triplicate of itself thereby renaming itself as Apple TV (2) and Apple TV (3). It's an odd issue in that these names fluctuate with no particular rhyme or reason. I initially thought the issue was down to my MacBook Pro but my iPhone 5 also displays the same names. Odd indeed.

Here's hoping Apple release an update to fix this glitch.

Apr 5, 2015 8:24 AM in response to Community User

User uploaded file

This is what my iPhone 6 Plus shows when I look for my ATV. It did not however show up like this on my Macbook Pro (Running the latest 10.10.3 Public Beta). I'm left to believe that the issue is indeed with the ATV's software. I have updated both my iPhone to 8.2 and my ATV is also on it's latest firmware. I only have one ATV in my setup and if I go to the Airplay Setting on it, it displays the same multiple ATV's but with a picture of a lock implying that they are PW protected (My ATV is most definitely not setup with any PW). Hopefully this will be fixed with an update.

Apple TV (2) name, AirPlay dropouts and more.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.