Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What have we GAINED in Pages 5?

Hi Pages users,

Positive replies please.

Negative replies make it hard to sift and summarise (I have been there and done that 🙂).

For example: "Revert all your documents to Pages '09 and uninstall Pages 5" is not helpful to this discussion.

I am looking for positive thinkers who can see GAINS in Pages 5.

Please state in a reply (or update your profile):

• your version of Pages 5
  • Your machine (Mac, iPad, iPhone, or whatever)
  • Your operating system (OS X version, or iOS version)
  • Any other details.

I look forward to hearing about GAINS, not losses.

Opening a can of worms...

Regards,

Ian.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Feb 22, 2015 5:31 AM

27 replies

Feb 22, 2015 7:12 AM in response to Sparkleberry

Hi Sparkleberry,

Thanks for that idea on Tricks and Features that we can do in Pages that you can't do in <insert your favourite word processor>.

Perhaps you could start a new discussion on that idea. I will back you up. Let's keep this comparison to Pages 5 versus other current word processors. Otherwise, this discussion will devolve into a discussion of Pages '09 versus Pages 5.

And, I am getting tired of the boilerplate replies: "Export all your documents to Pages '09, uninstall Pages 5 and rate Pages 5 in the App Store".

We must move with the times. One day (no-one knows when) iWork '09 will join Appleworks in the graveyard.

Regards,

Ian.

Feb 22, 2015 7:11 AM in response to Yellowbox

Ian

You must be reading some other forum.

No-one is saying to uninstall Pages 5 and the recommendation to use Pages '09 is when Pages 5 simply can't do it and the poster obviously is unaware that they have a choice of continuing with Pages '09.

Are you suggesting that users not be told that they still have Pages '09 available?

"We must move with the times." Is that code for do whatever Apple says? Or do users actually have a choice and can do what is in their own best interests?

Peter

Feb 24, 2015 1:03 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

Hi Peter,

Thank you for bumping this question.

Peter is correct. There are very few GAINS in Pages 5 over Pages 4 (Pages '09). It is time to close this question and move on. I was wrong to ask about GAINS. My question should have been: "Workarounds in Pages 5?"

Looking back to the release of iWork '13 in November 2013, there was much anxiety. Many features appeared to be lost. For example, in Numbers 3.0 we were stuck with 1 inch document margins and no ability to create a Custom Cell Format. Then somebody found that a document created and saved in Numbers '09, then opened in Numbers 3.0 carried forward many features. It was as though the features were not lost, but were waiting in the wings for their cue to come on stage. Numbers 3 users found that many so-called "lost" features were simply "hidden" in the new user interface.

"Hidden" means that iWork '09 users (such as me) found the new user interface to be non-intuitive. But only from the perspective of an iWork '09 user. 😉

Since then, updates to Numbers 3 have restored many features.

The same is not true for Pages 5. Many lost features are still lost. But could it be that they are still waiting in the wings?

Try this. Create a document in Pages '09 with as many of the "old" features as you like. Save the document and open it in Pages 5.

• Some features will carry forward. For example, Page Headers and Page Footers with a single, editable column.
  • Many features will not carry forward. For example, linked Text Boxes no longer link in Pages 5

(BTW, in Pages 5.5.2 I can create bulleted lists, as above, without having to painfully set the bullet and text indents). A restored feature? 🙂

This in no way denigrates Peter's excellent list of missing features in Pages 5. This is a call to see if we can "force" some Pages '09 features from the wings and onto the stage. Then another call for workarounds to get Pages 5 to do what we want.

Peter, here is the green tick for answering this question.

Regards,

Ian.

Feb 24, 2015 2:33 AM in response to Yellowbox

Ian

I must say I was surprised that no-one came forth with any better examples of improvements in Pages 5. As I said I can give a few myself.

For a start I much prefer to draw and create graphics in Pages 5, and the object styles are for the most part easier to use.

But those few advancements, which are only some of the features we were begging for for over 4 years, do not make up for the vast number of features taken away and the massive lost productivity.

I have just completed 3 projects in Pages '09 that would have been possible in Pages 5.5.2 but would have been painfully slow and difficult to re-edit once completed and universal adjustments needed to be made. The projects reminded me just how quickly and efficiently I can work in Pages '09 without the stumbling blocks and bugs of Pages 5.5.2.

Just one thing took me literally 2 - 3 seconds, and was absolutely accurate, that would have had me working for hours in Pages 5.5.2 with probably many errors. That was changing only specific formatting in a head that appears on every one of 120 pages, without altering the fonts used (It is a typeface catalog).

Also the speed of adding captured section formats only served to remind me that this is completely gone in Pages 5.5.2.

There were many other such examples, some even new that I only noticed now because I have hit the unfixable problem in Pages 5.5.2. All of which made me think how could the programmers of the original Pages get so much right, and even anticipate future features of OS X when, given everything on a plate, the Programmers of Pages 5 managed to get so much wrong, especially with the User Interface.

But getting onto your ray of hope.

You have discovered that some styling and layout survives translation into Pages 5.5.2's formats. That should not lead to the false conclusion that this means those features are actually buried somewhere in the Pages 5 UI just waiting to be revealed. Anymore than importing a graphic into Pages reveals some innate Illustrator or Photoshop talent in Pages. All that is happening is basic XML is being read, just as pdf graphics or bitmap images are being read.

It is hard to know where Apple is headed with Pages 5, or Numbers or Keynote. It may surprise us all and step right out of character and put in the hard yards and fix everything that is broke and replace everything that it removed, but after 16 months of very little to show, do you really think that likely? Especially given Apple's track record with everything else it has cast aside.

We have reached the tipping point where no-one is listening or cares anymore, unless you are totally green and this is the first time you are being had.

I am just waiting out this lame duck software until a viable replacement comes along.

Meanwhile Pages '09 is as productive as it always was and I now realise it could be worse. It could be Pages 5.

Peter

Feb 24, 2015 3:23 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

Hi Peter,

There was a time when I was fearful of Pages 5 or Numbers 3 snaffling* my iWork '09 documents. No Longer. My preferred versions are now the latest versions and I willingly click on OK and allow '09 documents to update. But then:

1. My Word Processing requirements are basic and
  2. I am a Numbers person!

(BTW that numbered list took me 2 seconds in Pages 5.5.2)

Also, I have iWork '09 and can start anew in the "old" versions.

I use Numbers 2 or Numbers 3 to create graphics. No need to worry about inline or floating. It just 'does it'. Menu > Insert > Choose 'just works' for screen shots or pics and I can edit. It reminds me of a drawing app (sigh, MacDraw).

*Snaffle from Spotlight > Dictionary

verb [ with obj. ] Brit. informal

take (something) for oneself, typically quickly or without permission: shall we snaffle some of Bernard's sherry?

Regards,

Ian.

What have we GAINED in Pages 5?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.