Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to identify Time Capsule generation?

How can I identify the Time Capsule generation?

The 1.st and 5.th generation are obvious because of the box, but how can I identify between the 2.nd, 3.rd and 4.th generation?

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Feb 22, 2015 7:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 7, 2017 4:17 PM

Holding the option key while clicking on Time Capsule didn't work for me. However, if I select the Time Capsule in the initial diagram it shows the summary page. Hovering the mouse over the title gives extra information including the model number. I guess something has changed. This is with version 7.7.8 of the firmware.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 7, 2017 4:17 PM in response to Rui C

Holding the option key while clicking on Time Capsule didn't work for me. However, if I select the Time Capsule in the initial diagram it shows the summary page. Hovering the mouse over the title gives extra information including the model number. I guess something has changed. This is with version 7.7.8 of the firmware.

Feb 22, 2015 7:46 AM in response to Rui C

Before you buy.......get the model number......it is on the bottom of the Time Capsule......starts with an "A" followed by four numbers and post back with that info.

In general, it is not a good idea to buy a used Time Capsule, since the Time Capsule holds the honor of being Apple's most unreliable product. If someone is selling, there is a probably a reason.

How to identify Time Capsule generation?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.