Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where is the cd slot for iMac 27 inch?

How do I insert a CD/DVD into iMac with 5k Retina Display? Where is the slot?

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Feb 22, 2015 6:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2017 3:31 AM

It was left out of every iMac 4 years ago. And it was a wise choice, the incorrect vertical alignment and heat exposure made the optical drive a prime candidate for premature failure. Buy an inexpensive external, like one of the offerings from LG, you don't need to spend a premium for an Apple branded drive that offers nothing over third party drives costing far less.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 23, 2017 3:31 AM in response to LegendMaker

It was left out of every iMac 4 years ago. And it was a wise choice, the incorrect vertical alignment and heat exposure made the optical drive a prime candidate for premature failure. Buy an inexpensive external, like one of the offerings from LG, you don't need to spend a premium for an Apple branded drive that offers nothing over third party drives costing far less.

Jun 23, 2017 3:52 AM in response to SeaPapp

It was a distinctly DUMB choice, considering it's never been made before then. I replaced a 2011 iMac on the basis of its constantly failing GPU overheating and never suspected since my earliest days of using Apples that they ditched the internal drive. My drives always worked, never failed. I seriously dislike having to spend more money on more hardware and software and using up more ports and finding more places on my desk for this. I have already knocked a couple stars off my review due to this, even if this particular model wasn't when it was introduced. Couldn't care less, it was not a good idea and iMac buyers should be better informed.

Jun 23, 2017 3:58 AM in response to LegendMaker

and iMac buyers should be better informed

Well, yes. And now you're cross because you didn't inform yourself. Apple don't hide this. it was covered when it was announced 5 years ago, and many other manufacturers have followed suit, in the knowledge that optical media is going the way of the floppy disk.

But don't be cross with Apple, or us or anyone else, because you didn't do your research properly.

Jun 23, 2017 4:01 AM in response to Yer_Man

I looked at the iMac specifications, for the first time since I entered the market 2011. I would never have thought to look for what was MISSING on something that was always there since the very start. I am cross with Apple for removing it when people still use discs and it is completely justified. This was their business decision that I'm cross at.

Where is the cd slot for iMac 27 inch?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.