Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My mac is a Mid-2007 iMac with 2GHa intel core 2 Duo processor and 4G of 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. It was working great until i installed Yosemite (running 10.10.2), now it is really slow and balky. Its there a way to fix this short of a new Mac?

My mac is a Mid-2007 iMac with 2GHa intel core 2 Duo processor and 4G of 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. It was working great until i installed Yosemite (running 10.10.2), now it is really slow and balky. Its there a way to fix this short of a new Mac?

Posted on Feb 22, 2015 5:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2015 5:33 AM

You can restore your mac to factory settings (search google, loads of tutorials over there), but I think it won't help, your mac isn't the newest anymore.

You can also try to downgrade your OSX version to the previous one (Mavericks). OSXdaily made a nice tutorial for downgrading the OSX version: http://osxdaily.com/2014/10/22/downgrade-os-x-yosemite-to-mavericks/.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 22, 2015 5:33 AM in response to TomAZ511

You can restore your mac to factory settings (search google, loads of tutorials over there), but I think it won't help, your mac isn't the newest anymore.

You can also try to downgrade your OSX version to the previous one (Mavericks). OSXdaily made a nice tutorial for downgrading the OSX version: http://osxdaily.com/2014/10/22/downgrade-os-x-yosemite-to-mavericks/.

Feb 22, 2015 11:27 AM in response to TomAZ511

The 2 places I’ve seen recommended most to buy reliable RAM are below. I have purchased RAM several times from Other World Computing and have always been very satisfied with the product and service. They have on-line instructions on how to replace the RAM. OWC has also tested RAM above what Apple states is the maximum. I now have 6GB installed on a machine supposedly limited to 4 GB and the extra RAM improved Yosemite's performance.

Crucial

Other World Computing

Feb 23, 2015 4:27 AM in response to TomAZ511

Using the activity monitor app, I found the Image Capture Extension program which was using lots of CPU and memory, at a constant level with no camera or anything attached. I killed this process and now my machine runs like it used to. I of course did not expect it to run faster with Yosemite, but it is nice now that the extreme balkiness is gone.

Thanks to several who suggested that I can upgrade to ^GB of RAM, that was not presented as an option to me before.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.